× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Managed switch GS716v3

MAcscot54
Aspirant

Managed switch GS716v3

Looking for a solution for a charity set up: We have a nice FTTP Giagbit connection but are forced to stay with the ISP modem/router which is locked as the DHCP server (router can not be put in bridge only mode).   We want to set up 6 small startup offices (3 pc each plus their own stand alone voip phone) with internet access and plan to use static VLAN to keep each office isolated but ith internet access. I was thinking to use GS716Tv3. We do not need PoE and prefer no fan version.  Some questions on suitability:

1) With the router providing DHCP will I still be able to setup a diffferent IP pool for each VLAN but on same subnet as router or do the  router DHCP assigned IP's remain assigned even through VLAN?

2)If each VLAN has a VOIP Base (Gigaset N510 IP) with a static IP address for each and   unique RTP/SIP ports range set, can the auto voice or QoS function  on the GS716 be setup to prioritize voice using IP or MAC address?  There are only 3 phones with light use behind each VLAN.   Each VLAN is connected to the Router/modem and smart switch GS716? over a single fiber connection per building using media convertor SFP units either end. I don't want to add smart switches in each office so need the central (and only) smart switch to identify the voice packets.

Any guidance appreciated as I am a late starter in this field!

thank you

Model: GSM5212P|ProSAFE 12-port Gigabit Managed L2 Switch with PoE
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Managed switch GS716v3

Hi @MAcscot54,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

1) With the router providing DHCP will I still be able to setup a diffferent IP pool for each VLAN but on same subnet as router or do the  router DHCP assigned IP's remain assigned even through VLAN?

If the router is only capable of providing one subnet and since the GS716Tv3 does not have the function to configure a DHCP pool for each VLAN, it would be suitable to configure Asymmetric VLAN.  Kindly access and read the article below:

Asymmetric VLAN

However, if you need to set up voice VLAN and Auto-VoIP, Asymmetric VLAN is not advisable.  You will need to have a router that supports VLAN so that you can create a DHCP pool for each VLAN you want to configure on the GS716Tv3 switch. 

2)If each VLAN has a VOIP Base (Gigaset N510 IP) with a static IP address for each and   unique RTP/SIP ports range set, can the auto voice or QoS function  on the GS716 be setup to prioritize voice using IP or MAC address?  There are only 3 phones with light use behind each VLAN.   Each VLAN is connected to the Router/modem and smart switch GS716? over a single fiber connection per building using media convertor SFP units either end. I don't want to add smart switches in each office so need the central (and only) smart switch to identify the voice packets.

Let me share this Auto-VoIP and LLDP-MED Guide here and use this as your guide.    

Furthermore, let me share the article below and you may want to consider the Managed Switches which are M4100 series and M4300 series of NETGEAR:

Networking Solutions for VoIP

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @MAcscot54,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

If the router is only capable of providing one subnet and since the GS716Tv3 does not have the function to configure a DHCP pool for each VLAN, it would be suitable to configure Asymmetric VLAN.  Kindly access and read the article below:

Asymmetric VLAN

However, if you need to set up voice VLAN and Auto-VoIP, Asymmetric VLAN is not advisable.  You will need to have a router that supports VLAN so that you can create a DHCP pool for each VLAN you want to configure on the GS716Tv3 switch. 

Let me share this Auto-VoIP and LLDP-MED Guide here and use this as your guide.    

Furthermore, let me share the article below and you may want to consider the Managed Switches which are M4100 series and M4300 series of NETGEAR:

Networking Solutions for VoIP

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community

Message 2 of 6
MAcscot54
Aspirant

Thanks for the links. They have helped a lot in my understanding of options and set up.

Message 3 of 6
MAcscot54
Aspirant

Looking forward if I go with M4100D12G to future proof in the event I get a more flexible ISP router, will the M4100 with DHCP/off  also allow me to set up asymetric VLAN in short term?

Not withstanding issues with auto voice as you stated.

thanks

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@MAcscot54,

Yes, you can set up Asymmetric VLAN with the M4100-D12G switch as well.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
MAcscot54
Aspirant

Ill be going with the M4100. Ordered now. Now for the hard bit... setting up....

thanks

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements