× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Managed switch on routing mode for dhcp

tonynsx
Luminary

Managed switch on routing mode for dhcp

I have a few CNC machines at work that have RS232 connectors.  I know I can get adapters to convert the RS232 to WiFi or Ethernet.  

I don't want these machines to be on the company network.  So instead of connecting them to our firewall, and doing firewall rules, I was thinking about connecting them straight to a Netgear managed switch.

For example XS728T, if I enabled routing mode, then the switch will act as a router, and I can do DHCP for the devices?  Does all ProSafe models have this feature?

https://www.netgear.com/business/wired/switches/smart/xs728t/ 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Managed switch on routing mode for dhcp

A VLAN does not require a dedicated physical network link. Each VLAN does make up a dedicated logical network. So doing this on the XS728 is perfectly fine.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@tonynsx wrote:

I have a few CNC machines at work that have RS232 connectors.  ... I don't want these machines to be on the company network. 

A smart decision - simple serial network converters don't offer much security. Exposing a serial port via some serial converter to the same IP subnet would imply a major risk. 

@tonynsx wrote:

So instead of connecting them to our firewall, and doing firewall rules, I was thinking about connecting them straight to a Netgear managed switch.

You could (read: should) create multiple VLANs for the company network and the manufacturing network. Some ports can be configured as access ports for the company network [read VLAN] (and IP subnet), other ports can be configured as access ports to the manufacturing network [read another VLAN] (and IP subnet), so the switch can deal with multiple networks.

The connection to the router could be done by dedicated physical ports, or by a trunk port, handling multiple VLANs over a single physical link, or for the sake a LAG combining multiple ports to achieve higher bandwidth.

Routing between the IP subnets could be done easily on the primary router, or as short cut L3 routing for attached networks on the XS728T.

@tonynsx wrote:

For example XS728T, if I enabled routing mode, then the switch will act as a router, and I can do DHCP for the devices?

No, the XS728T and similar switches don't offer a DHCP service, but could transport both networks to your primary router, where routing, and DHCP, and whatever more can be done. This is under the assumption that your router / firewall is able to handle multiple VLANs and IP subnetworks individually.

Message 2 of 7
tonynsx
Luminary

@schumaku 

Thank you, the reason I want to have these CNC machines connected to a Netgear switch is so I can avoid connecting fiber from firewall (WatchGuard) to switch.  Plus, this is another way to keep them away from company network.  Yes, I could create a new VLAN for these CNC machines.  But this means I need to run cable from firewall to switch.

Is there any Netgear switch that does dhcp and act as router?

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

A VLAN does not require a dedicated physical network link. Each VLAN does make up a dedicated logical network. So doing this on the XS728 is perfectly fine.

Message 4 of 7
tonynsx
Luminary

@schumaku 

Thank you

Message 5 of 7
tonynsx
Luminary

@schumaku 

So since I'll be connecting the CNC machines to the WiFi, I don't need the extra ports on the XS728.

Are there any 5 port managed switches that have the same feature as XS728?  How about the GS305E?

It has 5 ports, I could use 1 port for connection from firewall if needed, and 1 port for an access point, and I have 3 spares left.

Netgear GS305E 

Message 6 of 7
tonynsx
Luminary

Would be better if there is a 5 port managed PoE switch that does routing and dhcp

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements