× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Merging a LAN with home network

Daniel66
Follower

Merging a LAN with home network

In my house I have about eight walljacks with RJ45 ports for direct internet connection. A modem from my ISP is connected to a switch which supplies internet connection to those end points. On one of my end points in a central room I have installed a NetGear router. My TV and other devices are connected to the switch directly. The question is how to force my TV or other devices to connect to the internet through the NetGear router?

Model: AX745|ProSafe10GBASE-T RJ45 port adapter
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Merging a LAN with home network

@Daniel66 wrote:

In my house I have about eight walljacks with RJ45 ports for direct internet connection. A modem from my ISP is connected to a switch which supplies internet connection to those end points.

This configuration makes sense - if, and only IF, this cable modem is a modem/router so you could connect computers, switches, wireless access points, so everything conected to these ports will get private IP addesses.

@Daniel66 wrote:

On one of my end points in a central room I have installed a NetGear router. My TV and other devices are connected to the switch directly. The question is how to force my TV or other devices to connect to the internet through the NetGear router?

What is the intention for the installation of this router?

All you in-house LAN (I assume this is your house, and these network ports are not shared ports for different parties) must be on the same LAN, adding anther NAT router does not make a lot of sense (beside adding connectivity problems).

If you are in such a luxury installation situation, the NAT router (unless again there isn't one on your provider cable CPE) belongs to that same location where the network switch is. 

This is the appropriate configuration for such a network:

ISP/Cable <-> Cable Modem <-> NAT router <-> Switch/LAN infrastructure <-> devices, TV, wireless APs (<-> wireless devices).

Permitting there would be two network cables available between the in-house installation where switch and cable modem is, you could use one network cable for the WAN/Internet side, looping the Internet side to the router, and then back to the switch/LAN:

ISP/Cable <-> Cable Modem <-cable 1a WAN port-> Netgear router  <-LAN port cable 1b- -> Switch/LAN infrastructure <-> weired devices, TV,.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements