× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multicast issues with M4100-26G v2

Rajita
Aspirant

Multicast issues with M4100-26G v2

Hi,

I am trying to implement multicast using IGMP snooping. I am using single switch and 2 systems (1 for multicast client and 1 for multicast server)I have following setup of switch:

In switching -> Multicast -> Bridge Multicast Forwarding selected filter unregistered.

In Switching -> Multicast -> Igmp Snooping enabled admin mode and configured "enabled " for both the interfaces where my systems are connected. 

I am using native VLAN ID for this setup and in IGMP VLAN configuration I have enabled VLAN 1.

For Querier mode, enabled admin mode and same for Querier VLAN configuration selected VLAN ID 1... 

I am sending multicast frames to port 14 and receiving from port 17. Multicast address is 239.1.1.1

Switch IP address is 192.168.1.23 and client IP address is 192.168.1.3 and server IP is 192.168.1.5

But I am not able to receive any packets after multicast join on the server side but I can see membership report for join and leave and no enteries in MFDB table..

I am attaching .pcap file of the capture. 

Please help me finding solution to this..  

Screenshot from 2019-02-15 18-14-00.png

Model: GSM7224v2h2 | M4100-26GProSAFE 26-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Multicast issues with M4100-26G v2

Hi @Rajita,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Based from the image posted, v10.0.2.20 the current firmware version of the M4100-26Gv2.  I suggest you to upgrade the firmware of the M4100-26Gv2 to the latest version which is v10.0.2.26.  You can download it here.  Then check if the same problem will occur.

Also, kindly post an image or screenshot of your detailed network setup. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Rajita
Aspirant

It does not change anything. Looks like the firmware issue.

Steps

1- Test Setup

LinuxPC1<--->NetgearSwitch<---->LinuxPC2

Both linux systems have IGMP V3 support

2- IGMP Configuration:(Querier disabled)

- Configure filter unregistered.

-  Enable IGMP snooping and configure IGMP Vlan. Vlan is set to 1 in our case as we have non tagged multicast.

3- Send multicast from Linux PC1. On Linux PC2 sniffer is not showing multicast frames as expected. Send a join request from Linux PC2(its IGMPV3 request as checked on wireshark.) On linux PC2 sniffer starts showing packets and MFDB table has a entry. So far so good.

4- Now the problem: After some time(to be precise after Group member ship interval), sniffer on Linux PC2 is not showing any multicast frames. Verfified that LinuxPC1 is still sending frames. There is no entry in MFDB table now.

5- I configured querier now with IGMP V2. Thought this may solve the issue. Netgear has IGMP V1 and V2 support. Linux PCs auto learned the environment as verfied by sending join request again from LinuxPC2. No multicast frames were recieved on Linux PC2 as verfified from sniffer. No entry in MFDB table too. Sniffer is snowing the queries from Netgear and request being sent in reply from Linux PC.

So what is the problem here?

Message 3 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi, sorry for your issue. It must be a configuration issue with IGMP here.

Please make sure the IGMP Snooping, IGMP Querier(v2) and IGMP Fast Leave are properly configured at the VLAN level (not at the port / physical interface level). Can you follow the direction from this post (I indicated how to configure IGMP for VLAN 2, please replicate it in your case for VLAN 1):  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Pro-AV-over-IP-Switches/M4300-configuration-as-AV-network-access-sw...

I know the other post in for M4300 and you have a M4100, but the menus are consistent in the GUI.

Please let us know. 

Message 4 of 8
Rajita
Aspirant

Config_1.JPGConfig_2.JPGConfig_3.JPGConfig_4.JPGConfig_5.JPGConfig_6.JPGConfig_7.JPGConfig_8.JPGConfig_9.JPGwireshar1.JPGwireshar2.JPG

I have attached my swicth configuration. Please let me know if you face any issue opening the same.

My setup as I explained earlier is:

1- Ubuntu System having two interfaces. (192.168.0.1/16 and 192.168.1.43/24)

2- Netgear M4100-26G

3- Another Ubuntu System (192.168.1.37/24)

4- Interfaces of both ubuntu systems are connected to netgear switch. From 192.168.0.1/16 I have netgear web interface opened.

5-192.168.1.37 is sending IP multicast frames at group address 239.1.1.1.

6-192.168.1.43 is subscribing to 239.1.1.1 group by sending IGMP request.

Issues:

1- Join request with IGMP version  2 doesn't work.

2-  I had to force igmp version 3 on 192.168.1.43. Only then I started recieving multicast frames on system 192.168.1.43 and can see the entry in MFDB table. In this case After 260 seconds netgear stops sending the frames.

Message 5 of 8
Rajita
Aspirant

And Why querier ip is not coming as 0.0.0.0?check the Wireshark capture and config images.
Message 6 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

I am sorry for the issue you are encountering. The IGMP Querier IP address isn't meant to be 0.0.0.0 in your packet captures, this is a configuration setting taken into account by the switch during the Querier election, after that the switch is using its management IP address on the network.

I reviewed all your screenshots and the switch configuration looks OK to me. It makes sense for the IGMP version, the switch is using IGMP Snooping v3 and IGMP Querier v2. The one thing we can't control in your posts is the Linux server configuration (PC1 and PC2). Did you validate the servers' behavior is correct, can you check with another switch or make screenshots of your settings here. I am afraid the IGMP Snooping doesn't behave correctly due to some miscommunication here?

Thanks, 

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Rajita wrote:

I have attached my swicth configuration. Please let me know if you face any issue opening the same.

My setup as I explained earlier is:

1- Ubuntu System having two interfaces. (192.168.0.1/16 and 192.168.1.43/24)

Two subnets with overlapping addess ranges is already a bad starting point. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements