× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear GS724T v3 Switch and Bt Business Smart Hub

Nightsurfer2002
Initiate

Netgear GS724T v3 Switch and Bt Business Smart Hub

I have a a BT Internet connection on my local community centre, supplied via a BT Business Smart Hub. This is connected to a Netgear GS724T v3 Smart Switch.

On this switch 6 ports are for the office computers and the CCTV feed.

The remaining ports feed various switches on the site for the other users.

I need to setup this up so the others users can't see or access information from the office computers.

I've looked online into VLAN's and Subnetting, and can set up a seperate Vlan for the 6 office ports, but when i do this they cant seem to access the Internet.

I've setup a seperate Vlan called 'Office' on Vlan 4

I then used the PVid to allocate the ports 1-6 to Vlan 4 and remove them from Vlan 1

My Feed from the Bt Hub comes into Port 24 of the Switch -

Do i change this to T on Vlan 4 and Vlan 1?

Do I need to alter any setting in the Bt Hub ?

Any help whould be appeciated

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear GS724T v3 Switch and Bt Business Smart Hub

Not well informed about the UK/BT offerings and requirements I'm afraid. 

I would look into a small business routers or security appliances supporting multiple LAN subnets, on multiple VLANs or at lest on multiple LAN ports. Most reasonable devices have plain Ethernet (Gigabit) WAN/Internet ports. But no idea on how the BT network can be connected, Openreach modem probably?

The VLAN capable L2 switches are fine typically.

A possible approach would be what Netgear does provide with thier Insight solution - with the simple BR500, some Insight manageable switches, distributed WAC5xx wireless access points. This would allow to configure dedicated WLAN for each connected "customer", too. Netgear would help customers and Insight Pro resellers if they would create a partner site with regional search for Insight Pro so you could  buy the solution with some design and anual services from them.

Of course some "hack" solutions with a L2+ switch allowing basic IPv4 routing would be possible - either case your LAN subnet would be used as a pass-through network.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Well, for a proper segregation of the VLAN and Internet access just creating VLANs on these (pure) L2 switches won't be sufficient. Tagging these other VLANs on the trunk port to the router would only help of the router does support handling multiple tagged VLANs, multiple IP subnetworks, and dedicated DHCP services.

Don't know anything about the BT Business Smart Hub - these ISP provided routers are typically intended to handle a single business with one subnet only, and not for sub-providing services to multiple businesses.

Message 2 of 4
Nightsurfer2002
Initiate

Thanks for the reply, which router is recommended for this setup then. Would you also changing the switch or not

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Not well informed about the UK/BT offerings and requirements I'm afraid. 

I would look into a small business routers or security appliances supporting multiple LAN subnets, on multiple VLANs or at lest on multiple LAN ports. Most reasonable devices have plain Ethernet (Gigabit) WAN/Internet ports. But no idea on how the BT network can be connected, Openreach modem probably?

The VLAN capable L2 switches are fine typically.

A possible approach would be what Netgear does provide with thier Insight solution - with the simple BR500, some Insight manageable switches, distributed WAC5xx wireless access points. This would allow to configure dedicated WLAN for each connected "customer", too. Netgear would help customers and Insight Pro resellers if they would create a partner site with regional search for Insight Pro so you could  buy the solution with some design and anual services from them.

Of course some "hack" solutions with a L2+ switch allowing basic IPv4 routing would be possible - either case your LAN subnet would be used as a pass-through network.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements