× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear GS748Tv4 Fan Failure - Replace fan or Switch?

sparky2811
Aspirant

Netgear GS748Tv4 Fan Failure - Replace fan or Switch?

Dear all

A few days ago I noticed a loud rattling noise coming from our GS748Tv4H1 48 port switch.  Logging into the web interface I see that there is a 'fan failure'.

I imagine years of dust have got caught in there and caused some damage or that the fan needs cleaning.

However, the switch was purchased in 2011 and is being a bit flakey.  For example although it routes traffic okay it is sometimes not possible to connect via the web interface or even ping the device without resetting it.  It has been doing this for a year or so now despite regular firmware updates.

It is also a very crucial piece of kit for our network and I’m wondering if I should purchase a new one and keep this as a spare.  I notice that this model is still available.  Would you recommend the same model or is there something better?

Lastly does anyone know what size fans it uses or if there is a service manual available for this model?

Many thanks

Mark

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@sparky2811,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to access the links I shared?

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
ElaineP
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Netgear Community!

If switch work long time, sometimes the temperature will increment for forwarding traffic or other operation. So Fan will rotate speed to reduce the temperature, the FAN will be noise.

Please try to power off the switch and reduce the temperature, then power on the switch and upgrade latest firmware, do factory default.

Look forward your reply, thanks.

Regards,

NETGEAR Employee.

Message 2 of 7
sparky2811
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the reply.  Apologises, for the late response back.  As soon as I can I'll try the firmware update.  

Kind regards

Mark

Message 3 of 7
sparky2811
Aspirant

Hi,

I've updated the firmware to the latest version and powered down the switch as advised.  However, the fan is still making a loud noise.  I have managed to clean it using compressed air from the outside and it is now spinning again.

Is there any where I can buy a new fan?  Are they easy to replace?

Many thanks

Mark

Message 4 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @sparky2811,

Let me share these links I found online that might help you with your concerns:

NETGEAR GS748T/GS724T Switch Loud Fan Swap Modification

NETGEAR GS748T Switch Loud Fan Swap with Quiet Fan

NETGEAR GS724T Switch Fan Replacement

Hope it helps! 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@sparky2811,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to access the links I shared?

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
sparky2811
Aspirant

Hi, thank you for the links. I'll try replacing the fan. Thanks for your help. 🙂

Mark
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements