× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear XS716T - mDNS / IGMP Snoop / NDI traffic support

Dan_Epiphan
Aspirant

Netgear XS716T - mDNS / IGMP Snoop / NDI traffic support

Hello,

I am considering an XS716T for a test network that will be running NDI traffic.

NDI relies heavily on mDNS, and I have read that there are some issues with Netgear switches and mDNS due to the IGMP Snooping feature.  

I have also read that this is not an issue on "Smart Managed" switches.

Could someone from Netgear please confirm whether or not the IGMP Snooping / mDNS issue exists or not on the XS716T?

Thank you,

Dan.

Model: XS716T|16-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper/SFP+ Combo Ports
Message 1 of 4
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Dan_Epiphan 

Thank you for reaching out. You are posting in the Fully Managed Switch category but the XS716T is a Smart Managed Pro Switch so lower end category.

I can tell you that the M4300 switches were successfully tested by NewTek with NDI around the world and since then we have deployed NDI installations with default configuration in many locations. To date the M4300 series is the go-to for NDI since we fixed any possible problem between mDNS and IGMP. With M4300 you can stay default with IGMP enabled out of the box and connect all our NDI devices.

I would strongly advise for M4300 in our case, and instead of the XS716T I would go with the M4300-16X for instance: ordering SKU number XSM4316PA-100NES in NA and Europe.

Please let us know your decision and please post here your results. Of course we will help in case of any questions.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
Dan_Epiphan
Aspirant

Hello Laurent,

Thank you for your reply!

It is great that you were involved in the NewTek certification and we will consider using the M4300 series for some test activity in our labs; however one of our customers is considering the Smart series as part of their deployment, while we will advise as you stated that the M4300 has been tested with NDI and passes well, we still need to figure out if the XS716T would suffice.  

Thank you again,

Dan.

Message 3 of 4
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Dan

OK thank you

XS716T was not tested with NDI, this is what we know within our ProAV Engineering Services team (reach out when you want at ProAVDesign@netgear.com for any AV network design or installation support). At NETGEAR we didn't test the Smart Managed Pro switches with NDI either. But given the NDI type of mDNS traffic and all the software enhancements we have done on our M4300's to solve the corresponding interoperability issues in the past, I am confirming the M4300's should be the go-to with NDI @1G or @10G in the NETGEAR portfolio.

Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements