× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Network modeling

jjesson
Aspirant

Network modeling

Is there a service that if I provided a network map would provide me with suggested switches for a mixed (i.e poe for voip and non voip for computers and smart tvs) home network?

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Network modeling

jjesson,

Having an 802.3at switch will still be depending on how your network to be setup and depends on the devices that will be connected to it. Yes, you are correct. Even if the main switch is GS510TP which is a POE+(802.3at), the GS110TP will still remain the same running in POE(802.3af).

I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jjesson,

Welcome to our community!

That would be possible if you can share with us what you needed so that we may know what we can provide you.

Regards,

Message 2 of 19
jjesson
Aspirant

JessonNetwork.jpgThe above is crude network sketch. My biggest question is when you are mixing poe and non poe assignments how do you control the ports (ie I assume you can't have a poe port to a non poe appliance). I also don't know understand if the down stream switches get their power from the first switch or do they need individual ac outlets for power. I would like some flexibility to in terms of future expansion and I don't no whether those devices will poe or non poe. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 3 of 19
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jjesson,

As per checking in here that you do need 1 8-10 port POE Switch and 4 5-port POE switch. May I know if you wanted those switch to be managed or just a plug and play unit? I suggest for the 8-10 port switch is the GS110TP and for the 5 port switch is GS105PE.

Regards,

Message 4 of 19
jjesson
Aspirant

JohnCarloV

I assume you have to power the the main 8-10 port switch but does that switch power the 5 port switches. And with the switches you are suggesting do you have to map out the network or do the switches sense whether they are providing poe automatically. 

Message 5 of 19
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jjesson,

POE Switches will only provide power after it received a request from a POE device. May I know if you wanted this 5 port switches to be connected directly to the main switch(GS110TP) or you wanted this switches to be on daisy chain?

Regards,

Message 6 of 19
jjesson
Aspirant

JohnCarloV,

If you mean by "daisy chain" that the downstream switches (the switches after the 8-10 port switch connected to the router). There will only be one connection to the router. Then the first 5 port switch will feed 2 switches and one of those will feed another. 

Message 7 of 19
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jjesson,

GS105PE can only be powered up by another POE device and it cannot provide any power. The topology that you have is a daisy chain. It will only work if you connect all of those 5 port switch directly to the GS110TP as it is the POE source.

Regards,

Message 8 of 19
jjesson
Aspirant

JohnCarloV,

I appreciate your support and guidance to date. I think I am ready to order the equipment and refurbish my network.

Here are some final questions I would answers to before I proceed.

1. On Amazon I see the GS110TP for sale and then the comment people who bought this also bought a SLLEA AC\DC adapter. I am correct to understand that the GS110TP does not come with a power source?

2. I have several ASUS EA-N66 wireless Range Extender/AP/Wifi Bridge. If I plug them into the GS105PE will they take power from the switch?

3. I also have an Amazon Fire TV will take power from the GS105PE?

4. Lastly, my understanding that there is a web based set up app? My understanding is that this allows me to optimize the switches. Is this straight forward to the beginner?

Again thank you for the advice and have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Message 9 of 19
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jjesson,

1. On Amazon I see the GS110TP for sale and then the comment people who bought this also bought a SLLEA AC\DC adapter. I am correct to understand that the GS110TP does not come with a power source?

- It says on the datasheet that the AC\DC Adapter is included in the package.

2. I have several ASUS EA-N66 wireless Range Extender/AP/Wifi Bridge. If I plug them into the GS105PE will they take power from the switch?

- GS105PE can only be powered by another POE source but it cannot provide any power to all of the ports except for port 1. But there is a restriction, please check the image below.

3. I also have an Amazon Fire TV will take power from the GS105PE?

- Same answer with #2, it will depend what class of POE does your Amazon Fire TV has.

4. Lastly, my understanding that there is a web based set up app? My understanding is that this allows me to optimize the switches. Is this straight forward to the beginner?

- Prosafe devices has a 90-days free support via phone and some has lifetime chat support, so that we can help you setup the switches that you have.

I suggest, if you do have more than 1 POE device that will be connected on each switch. It's better if you will be having multiple GS110TPs rather than getting GS105PE as you will be having limited options here. GS110TP can be also powered up by another POE. May I know if you have devices that supports 802.3at?

You may check our POE devices here.

Regards,

Message 10 of 19
jjesson
Aspirant

JohnCarloV

Just when I thought I was getting it, I get more confused. I don't know if I have any devices supporting 802.at. If I purchase GS110TP for all switch locations are the downstream switchs powered by POE or do I need power at each location.

Thanks

Message 11 of 19
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@jjesson,

My apologies for the confusion. GS110TP only supports 802.3af and it also requires a AC/DC adapter to work. You may also check GS510TP that supports both 802.3af/at, so that you will be on the safe zone.

Regards,

Message 12 of 19
jjesson
Aspirant

JohnCarloV

No apologies necessary. I am sure that it is clear that I am at the very beginning of the network learning curve.

So if I buy the GS510TP and place it next to the router will it provide POE across the network. And if so and I want 2 more 8 - 10 port POE switches at the next 2 critical branches of my network what would be compatable. Lastly are there any smaller switches (5 port) that will provide me at least 2 POE ports at the end network branches.

Thanks as always 

Message 13 of 19
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

jjesson,

Yes, it can provide POE across the network as it has a maximum POE budget of 130W. Either the GS110TP or GS510TP will be placed at the 2 critical branches, you just need to consider if it supports 802.3af/at. 5-port switch can only provide 1 POE device, the least that we can provide is the GS108PE which is an 8-port switch and has a max POE budget of 45W with 4 802.3af POE ports.

Regards,

Message 14 of 19
jjesson
Aspirant

JohnCarloV

I have in the past horizon gazed (procrastinated) waiting for the next standard be released. Only to find out there is something newer in the pipeline. Future proofing is not easy in technologies. I think if I can invest in something that will give me 5 years I am probably ok. You have mentioned several times 892.3af/at. Can you give me an example where this might be an issue? Does NetGear sell direct? I am in Canada.

Message 15 of 19
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

jjesson,

We do have online stores in your region. 802.3af/at are IEEE Standards of POE. These are the protocol used in order for the device to power up. 802.3af has a maximum budget of 15.4w per port and the 802.3at has 30w. If it is not compatible, then the device would not work.

Purchasing a 802.3at device is already the best that I may suggest as it also supports 802.3af technologies. Unlike the 802.3af, it doesn't support 802.3at. Prosafe devices has a lifetime hardware warranty.

You may also check our warranty policy here.

Regards,

Message 16 of 19
jjesson
Aspirant

JohnCarloV

So if my main switch is the GS510TP it will power my network without additional power sources. (If swiches down stream were near a power source would you or could you use that power to help with the integrity of the network) I assume that if the main switch is the GS510TP (which is "at" compatible) and I drop down to GS110TP switches which aren't "at" compatible I have already limited all ports below the GS110TP to the "af" standard. Is that correct? The best price I have found on Amazon.ca for the GS510TP is $288.00 Canadian. The best price I have found on Amazon.ca for the GS110TP is $179.00 Canadian. I am trying to determine if the extra $220.00 is worth having the Primary switch and the 2 Secondary switches all GS510TPs.

Message 17 of 19
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

jjesson,

Having an 802.3at switch will still be depending on how your network to be setup and depends on the devices that will be connected to it. Yes, you are correct. Even if the main switch is GS510TP which is a POE+(802.3at), the GS110TP will still remain the same running in POE(802.3af).

I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 18 of 19
jjesson
Aspirant

Accepted Solution

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation