× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New phone system on L3/L2 - problems...

alex74
Aspirant

New phone system on L3/L2 - problems...

Hi everyone.

We have just implemented our new Alcatel telephone system and I put in on separate VLAN, however we started getting problems once the system went in.

Here is what we have:

GSM7352sV1-----fiber----GSM7352sV2----fiber----GSM7352sV1
FM ver. 7.1 FM ver. 8.1 FM ver. 7.1

Apart from the setup from above, we have redundant links including wireless.

What we observed:
1. Spanning tree changes every few minutes.
2. Random ports on switches gowing down and up (V2 switch seems to have been NOT affected though)

What we have done:
1. Removed redundant links. That has sorted the problem for now. Any ideas what we can do ? All switches run the same RSTP (802.1w) - confirmed

Telephone people complain that due to lots of un-ordered packets their system took network port down and up... So that was the reason for telephone outages (2), but the problem (1) still remains.
Does anyone have any experience dealing with STP on NETGEAR L3/L2 switches ?

The other question is - how do we put some CoS/QoS for that voice traffic ? Any links specific for Netgear L2/L3 switches, please ?

thanks a lot

Message 1 of 4
advantagecom
Novice

Re: New phone system on L3/L2 - problems...

On the v1 switches, try upgrading firmware to v8.0.1.2 or downgrading firmware to v6.2.0.14. 7.x.x.x firmwares are alpha quality.
Message 2 of 4
alex74
Aspirant

advantagecom wrote:
On the v1 switches, try upgrading firmware to v8.0.1.2 or downgrading firmware to v6.2.0.14. 7.x.x.x firmwares are alpha quality.

Thanks, I've done that. I wonder if you or somebody else can publish a working example of Diffserv config and policies for VoIP setup. I've got this, but it is more general... ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/adminguide_v7.3.pdf
any chance of getting a real-world example ?
Message 3 of 4
ebelotto
Novice

I´m having the same problem, exactly the same problem.
I´m trying to shape the LAGs on the core switch, for each network, but without success.
If someone has a youtube video, pdf document or any other method, please public here.
We have in ower infrastructure 11 equipements GSM7328S-v2 and 40 IP telephones.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements