× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New some VPN Help in my XS712T

mwhite
Aspirant

New some VPN Help in my XS712T

I have four connections to my XS712T and each of the connections has two different VPNs configured that communicate on it.  So each one can have packets arrriving at the switch with traffic flagged VPN 4 or VPN 5.  I would like the traffic to be delivered appropriately - so traffic tagged 5 is delivered to ports that that have seen that traffic previously.

So the ports are not tagging, but traffic arrives tagged. I know that this is possible as I have seen this done in this exact switch before but I did not set it up.  A smart networking guy did but I cannot find him.

I am not saying this very well, but I want to use VPN tagged traffic, and I want the switch to manage  or route it appropriately.  I have configured the source with only VPN 4 and traffic cannot talk to each other.  

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Message 1 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: New some VPN Help in my XS712T

Hi mwhite,

Kindly answer the questions below:

a. The four connections you have on the XS712T, are they connected to four VPN firewalls?  It would be best if you post a diagram (.img or .png image) of your detailed network setup.

b. Are the VPN connections corresponds to a VLAN?  For example, you mentioned VPN 4 and 5, so does it mean that VPN 4 and 5 should connect to VLANs 4 and 5 respectively?

c. You mentioned that this was done before on the exact same XS712T switch, do you have a backup of the configuration file of it so that you could just restore it in the XS712T switch and check how it is configured?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
mwhite
Aspirant

Hi Dane,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Sorry I was not more clear.  There are no firewalls involved.  Each cable connection to the switch has two types of tagged traffic - one is tagged VPN 4 and one is tagged VPN 5.  I would like to have VPN 4 routed to VPN4 and the same with VPN 5.

I have no diagram and not quite sure how to diagram this.  And this was done before in the exact same model of switch but not the exact same one.  So even if I had a backup it would not be that useful.

I hope that this helps,

Michael

Message 3 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mwhite,

What ports on the XS712T switch are connected to VPN 4 as well as VPN 5?  Have you tried to set those ports as tagged ports as well as set the corresponding PVIDs?

I am not sure how to help you on this as you are not sure on how to diagram it so that we could at least see how the network is physically setup.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
mwhite
Aspirant

Sorry Dane that I am not explaining well.  Also, I am not sure how to diagram this out to make it more clear.  BTW, it is VLAN help and not VPN help.  Very sorry for that too.

In each cable connection there is two different VLAN tags that packets can have.  I have not set up any port tagging since each physical connection can carry two different VLAN tags.   Although there may be a default VLAN tag applied but I am not sure.

I think what I need to do is to set each port as trunked meaning, I think, multiple VLAN is in use.  But, then do I need to configure something  that will route VLAN traffic to the proper ports?

Very sorry about my poor explaining and confusion.

Michael

Message 5 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mwhite,

If you need to set a port as a trunk port, you will need to set that port as a tagged(T) port with a PVID = 1.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mwhite,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to set the corresponding ports as tagged ports with a PVID = 1 on the  XS712T switch? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements