× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi firmware update 2.3.5.30 required me to unplug/replug all my GS108Tv3 switches

tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Orbi firmware update 2.3.5.30 required me to unplug/replug all my GS108Tv3 switches

First: While posting this, I could only select between GS108T and GS108Tv1 and GS108Tv2. Sadly, the dropdown to select the model doesn't contain what I have, namely GS108Tv3. Someone should fix that.

Now...

Crossposting here as well, since I can't tell if GS108Tv3 has a problem recognizing the live signal coming from a re-firmwared Orbi RBR50v2 or whether RBR50v2 is not sending something out that it should to "wake up" any managed switches on the network after getting re-firmwared.

Original: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-2-3-5-30-required-me-to-unplug-replug-all...

Included below for convenience:

"This one was weird... I used the auto UpdateAll feature of the Orbi web management page to update my RBR50v2 router to the latest firmware 2.3.5.30, after a while all finished and seemed fine. Then I relized that instead of 25 devices, there are about 10-15 on my network. Wut? So, I look what is missing, and notice all my newly installed managed GS108Tv3 switches, and all the devices connected to them, are missing. I literally had to walk around the house and plug/unplug all of them. Then things went back to normal.

Except.... My WIRED speed on my PCs went down. Way down. Wut? After some headscratching....

I had forgotten to unplug/replug one GS108Tv3 that was connected to the LAN output of my RBR50v2, whose job was to feed a 24-port home network distribution switch which then fed wired ethernet to the rooms, which all my three satellite RBS50v2 are connected to for wired backhaul. Since that ONE and FIRST GS108Tv3 right out of the RBR50v2 actually was offline, it wasn't feeding the 24-port distribution switch, which meant the wired satellites weren't getting anything on the wire, which included the satellite closest to the router, which then connected to the router wirelessly, and started pumping a signal back INTO the wall from which it wasn't getting any signal as it was supposed to, which then ended up feeding the 24-port, which then ended up feeding the whole house. Therefore the remaining satellites were "wired" as well as everything else in the house, but all going through that wireless connection between the router and the one satellite.

I guess this is the beauty of the selfhealing nature of the TCP/IP networks. Designed to withstand a nuclear war, and therefore can withstand one missing switch, if it can.

Still, though. All my GS108Tv3 deciding to not boot up after the Orbi update is disconcerting. I will crosspost this to a switch forum, too. But I am wondering if the problem is on the switches, or the Orbi firmware not doing something right to send the right signal to managed switches. @Blanca_O 

Tuna"

Model: GS108T|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements