× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

POE Switch for Mitel

TCGuy
Tutor

POE Switch for Mitel

Anyone have experience with the Mitel hosted UC Systems?

Looking for a Netgear POE switch that is compatible without breaking the bank, I only have 14 users, and will be using Spectrum coax 100/10 internet for the transport, any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: POE Switch for Mitel

Welcome to the Netgear Community!

Just to exclude any false advise, would you mind what kind of Mitel IPphones you deploy, requiring power? We have some simple Mitel phones in a VoIP lab, these can be powered by basic  PoE switches with 802.3af compatibility, and request 802.3af PoE Class 1 (IP420) or  802.3af PoE Class 2 (IP480) when I have the details right.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 6
TCGuy
Tutor

Yes, thanks for the reply.

There will be 7) Mitel 6920 telephones and 7) 6930 telephones.

Each of the phones requires less than 10 Watts power, but I want to get a switch that has around 200 watts available (the extra power for future uses).

I'm hoping to find someone that has experience using numerous devices like this. I dont think there will be any difficulty handling the bandwidth, I just don't want to be experimenting on the customers dime, with a switch that might not work well with the Mitel product.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Netgear is probably by far the biggest vendor in the smart managed/web managed switches (with the Smart Managed Pro series) market worldwide, this includes PoE deployments for VoIP, for surveillance, ... and we manage several installations with hevy VoIP and PoE usage for our customers. Can't see why there should be any issues. 

What other concurrent usage is going on along with the VoIP on that very same LAN and the Internet connection - generic Internet surfing, heavy video streaming, business usage of SaaS systems in the cloud, ...? 

What Netgear switch model you have in mind?

Message 4 of 6
TCGuy
Tutor

Thanks for the reply,

here are the requirements that Mitel specifies for the needed POE switch

For my customer, I’m not sure all of this is necessary, because it is a small operation

1. A ‘managed’ switch or router with GUI or CLI administrative capabilities to configure the networking device. Mitel does not recommend connecting any non-managed switches or hubs to the network. In the event that a non-managed switch must be connected, only the data VLAN should be configured on the port with proper duplex settings to avoid collisions on the network.

2. Supports PoE with enough power for all connected IP phones simultaneously (edge data switches only)

3. Supports LLDP and LLDP-MED (edge data switches only)

4. Supports a minimum of 2 VLANs on all switches (1 for voice, 1 for data) and trunking with 802.1Q VLAN tagging.

5. Supports QoS at layer 2 for edge devices and layers 3 & 4 for core switches and routers, which include queuing, shaping, selective-dropping, DSCP trust and link-specific policies.

6. Optional high availability and advanced routing, supports Rapid Spanning Tree, VTP, BGP, OSPF, HSRP, VRRP or similar protocols.

7. Supports auto speed and duplex negotiation by default, with option to force-configure individual port speed and duplex modes when necessary.

8. Provide individual-port speed and duplex mode indication, plus error & traffic statistics, which are useful in troubleshooting. 

The customer does have several IP cameras operating on the network, and up until now the network has been just a “flat” network, all running on a Netgear JGS524 switch.

My intent is to leave all of their existing computers (approximately 14) on the JGS524, and connect that switch to one of the ports on the “New” (yet to be determined model) switch so that I can differentiate the PC and Camera traffic from the VoIP traffic with VLANs.
    I would need to add a few cables at the site to do this, and keep the PCs and Telephones physically separated from each other

I have a good understanding of the physical connectivity aspects of networking, and a basic understanding of VLANs, but I will need to learn as I go on this to be able to configure the VLANs, and understand how they will affect traffic on the network.

I want to learn as much as I can about this, because I have several other customers that want to install similar systems, so it’s time for me to learn about VLANs.

I have tried to learn via the internet, but everything that I have looked at so far seems to make the assumption that I already know how they work, so I haven’t been able to get confident with my understanding of it so far.

Of course, the intent is to give priority to the voice traffic, but I really don’t understand if I will be able to use the “pass-thru” switch on each of the telephones to support a PC, if I could that would make the job much easier.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Does Netgear offer a “design service” of any sort for this kind of thing?
Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Well, most are "wonderful" wishes ... easy to fulfill for the edge switches and L2 switches ...especially when it's coming down to the Internet router ... where most routers have nothing the like, and you have no control over what the ISP does on the downlink (incoming voice). 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements