× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Packet loss with LACP and Intel 82575EB network cards

tomjam
Aspirant

Packet loss with LACP and Intel 82575EB network cards

Hi

I'm setting up M4300 switches (migrating from an externally managed network with cisco switches to a network we control) and I am experiencing packet loss when using servers with Intel 82575EB network cards. I've tested extensively and came to the following conclusion.

• Multiple different servers with Linux (Debian Buster, Proxmox on Debian Stretch, Windows Server 2016) are affected every time an Intel 82575EB network card is connected to the LAG.
  • All these servers and operating systems work fine (without packet loss), when some other network card is used (e.g. Intel 82576, Intel X722, Intel I350, Broadcom BCM5709).
  • When the LACP is set up over two different network cards (an Intel 82575EB and a some other mentioned above), then the packet loss is smaller (depending on which connections is used due to hashing).
  • Hashing mode on Netgear was left untouched, which according to the manual should be load-balance mode 3, but in fact the default mode is 2 (visible in the web interface). When changing it to mode 3 it appears in the running-config (and thus does not seem to be default). When changing back to mode 2 it vanishes from the configuration. These load-balance mode tests were made with firmware 12.0.11.13.
  • A firmware upgrade to 12.0.11.16 (and default load-balance mode) does not resolve the issue.
  • I've tested multiple Intel 82575EB network cards, so it's not just one defective card.
  • These same servers with the same configuration and network cards have worked on the cisco switches.

The configuration under Linux is always the same:

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
	slaves 			enp2s0f0 enp3s0f0

up				ip link set bond0 up
	down 				ip link set bond0 down

bond-miimon			100
	bond-mode			802.3ad
	bond-xmit-hash-policy		layer2+3
	bond-downdelay		200
	bond-updelay			200
	bond-lacp-rate		fast

The Windows configuration is as follows:

teaming mode		LACP
load balancing mode	dynamic

The interface and lag configuration on the switch are as follows:

(sw-test) #show running-config interface 1/0/1

!Current Configuration:
!
interface  1/0/1
description 'server1-123-a'
addport lag 1
exit

(sw-test) #show running-config interface 2/0/1

!Current Configuration:
!
interface  2/0/1
description 'server1-123-b'
addport lag 1
exit

(sw-test) #show running-config interface lag 1

!Current Configuration:
!
interface lag 1
description 'server1-123'
spanning-tree edgeport
ip dhcp snooping trust
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 123
vlan acceptframe vlanonly
exit

I haven't found any known problem with Netgear and Intel 82575EB cards on the internet, so I'm hoping someone here can point me into the right direction.

Kind regards and thanks

Tom

Model: GSM4352PA|M4300-52G-PoE+ - 48x1G PoE+ Stackable Managed Switch with 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ (550W PSU)
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements