× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Preferred Router/Switch for VOIP system

bbryan
Tutor

Preferred Router/Switch for VOIP system

I am planning on installing a VOIP system. Office uses cable modem. I will have 6 PC's on CAT5 cable and 6 VOIP telephone units on CAT5 cable. What is the preferred router/switch that should be installed to accomadate the link to the cable modem?

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Preferred Router/Switch for VOIP system

Hi @bbryan,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

If you plan to connect the PCs directly the VoIP phone, I suggest you the M4100-D12G-POE+ switch which fits your network requirements.  Refer to the diagram below:

for bbryan.jpg

For more information about the M4100- D12G-PoE+ switch, kindly check the data sheet here.   

Be reminded that you cannot directly connect the M4100- D12G-PoE+ switch (or any switch) directly to the modem.  You will still need to connect the modem to the WAN port of the router then connect the switch to a LAN port of the router.  

The NETGEAR ProSAFE VPN Firewall Router product line has been discontinued last September 2017.  Kindly check the announcement here.

Let me share the following articles below for your reference:

Networking Solutions for VoIP

Networking Solutions for VoIP Application Notes

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
bbryan
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I intend to connect all pc's and phones directly to router with CAT5 cable. 

Message 3 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bbryan,

You can connect the VoIP phones and PCs directly to the ports of the M4100-D12G-POE+ switch as well.  Kindly refer to the image below:

for bbryan2.jpg

From the image above, the ports of the switch connected to the PCs should set as untagged (U) shown as green cables while the ports of the switch connected to the VoIP phones should be set as tagged (T) shown as blue cables. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements