× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ProSafe GS752TP - firmware upgrade procedure

Net-Gear-Man
Guide

ProSafe GS752TP - firmware upgrade procedure

Hi all,

Can someone please explain the step-by-step process on how to upgrade a ProSafe GS752TP's firmware? The current version of sofware my switch is running is 6.0.1.16 - I believe this is already the highest version, however I'm doing this strictly for learning purposes.  I've upgraded smaller "home office" switches by simply dowonloading the firmware and pushing it through a tftp utility (or some switches have a built in utility) so I understand the concept of what I'm doing.  

I'm not having any luck using the tftp utility, or the built in utility on my switch - which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong.  So if someone could outline the process (with links, applications, etc...) that I'll need to perform the upgrade I'd really appreciate it.  I've looked up articles, read the manual, downloaded the how-to however I can't find simple step by step instructions.

Thank You

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ProSafe GS752TP - firmware upgrade procedure

Hi Net-Gear-Man,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Most of the time, I use the web-GUI in upgrading or downgrading the firmware of NETGEAR Smart switch(es) just like the GS752TP.   Let me share these steps below:

1. Disconnect your GS752TP from your existing network. 
2. Connect the PC where you have downloaded the firmware v6.0.1.16 to a working LAN port on your GS752TP.  Make sure to unzip firmware v6.0.1.16.
3. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC. 
4. Open a browser like IE or Firefox then at the address bar, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" as the username and "password" as the password. 

Note: The default IP address of GS752TP is 192.168.0.239. 

5. Click Maintenance then click Download. 
6. On the left column, click HTTP File Download. 
7. On File Type, select Archive. On Image Name, select image1. 
8. Click Browse then locate the firmware v6.0.1.16 that you have unzipped earlier. 
9. Click Apply. 

Note: After a file transfer is started, please wait until the page refreshes. When the page refreshes, the Select File option will be blanked out. This indicates that the upgrade process is done.

10. On the GS752TP GUI, click on Maintenance then click Reset. 
11. Click Factory Default on the left column. 

Note: It is recommended to reset the device back to factory default settings after doing a firmware upgrade/downgrade.  

12. Check the box then click Apply. Wait for the GS752TP to boot up by itself.  Then, reconfigure it from scratch

Hope it helps. 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Net-Gear-Man,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Most of the time, I use the web-GUI in upgrading or downgrading the firmware of NETGEAR Smart switch(es) just like the GS752TP.   Let me share these steps below:

1. Disconnect your GS752TP from your existing network. 
2. Connect the PC where you have downloaded the firmware v6.0.1.16 to a working LAN port on your GS752TP.  Make sure to unzip firmware v6.0.1.16.
3. Set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 to your PC. 
4. Open a browser like IE or Firefox then at the address bar, type 192.168.0.239 then press Enter. Login to the user interface of switch. Enter "admin" as the username and "password" as the password. 

Note: The default IP address of GS752TP is 192.168.0.239. 

5. Click Maintenance then click Download. 
6. On the left column, click HTTP File Download. 
7. On File Type, select Archive. On Image Name, select image1. 
8. Click Browse then locate the firmware v6.0.1.16 that you have unzipped earlier. 
9. Click Apply. 

Note: After a file transfer is started, please wait until the page refreshes. When the page refreshes, the Select File option will be blanked out. This indicates that the upgrade process is done.

10. On the GS752TP GUI, click on Maintenance then click Reset. 
11. Click Factory Default on the left column. 

Note: It is recommended to reset the device back to factory default settings after doing a firmware upgrade/downgrade.  

12. Check the box then click Apply. Wait for the GS752TP to boot up by itself.  Then, reconfigure it from scratch

Hope it helps. 🙂 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 11
Net-Gear-Man
Guide

Hi DaneA,

Thank you for those instructions - they worked perfectly! How can I perform the firmware upgrade/downgrade if I can't access the GUI?

Thank You 🙂

Message 3 of 11
Net-Gear-Man
Guide

One more question :).

When I tried to downgrade the firmware from 6.0.1.16 to 6.0.1.14 using the procedure you provided I got to the part where the "Select File" field went blank (which should have meant the downgrade completed), however when I log back into the GUI the software version is still 6.0.1.16.  Any thoughts?

Message 4 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Net-Gear-Man,

Kindly try the following below:

a. Refresh the web-GUI by pressing F5 or log-out then log-in back to the web-GUI and try to downgrade the firmware. 

b. Reboot the GS752TP switch then try to downgrade the firmware. 

If ever you are not able to access the web-GUI of the GS752TP, you may use the Smart Control Center utility in order to be able to upgrade/downgrade the firmware.  Install it on a PC then connect that PC directly to the GS752TP.  Launch the Smart Control Center utility and the GS752TP switch should be detected for you to be able to manage it.   You may download the latest Smart Control Center utility v1.1.3.2 here.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGERA Community Team

Message 5 of 11
Net-Gear-Man
Guide

Hi DaneA,

I tried as you suggested and rebooted the switch prior to downgrading the firmware, I also power cycled the switch - still no luck.

I also tried downloading the 6.0.0.64 (Initial Release) firmware off of the Netgear website and ran that downgrade - still no luck.  

The downgrade runs and completes, however when I check the "Software Version" on the "System Information" tab of the switche's GUI it still says I have version 6.0.1.16.

I downloaded the firmware versions off of the Netgear website, they are .ros files.

P.s. I tried running the the "Smart Control Center" utility and my system was unable to discover the switch.  I have a connection to the switch because I can log into the GUI just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Message 6 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Net-Gear-Man,

There is a PoE issue using firmware v6.0.0.64.  I advise you not to downgrade the firmware to this version.  

Kindly check the Dual Image Status of the GS752TP.  On the web-GUI, go to Maintenance > File Management > Dual Image > Dual Image Status.  Refer to page 236-237 of the GS752TP administration manual here.  

About using the Smart Control Center utility, if ever there are software firewall(s) or anti-virus running on the PC, kindly try to disable it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 11
Net-Gear-Man
Guide

Hi DaneA,

Thanks! You were right - there were dual images loaded on the switch, I did as you said and was able to switch between firmware versions.

Quick question - I noticed that the switche's GUI has a "device reboot" option.  On the physical switch itself there's a "reset" button (and a "factory defaults" button).  I understand the "factory default" button will wipe all settings and set them to default, but what does the "reset" button do? Is it the same as the "device reboot" option in the GUI?

Thank You

Message 8 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Net-Gear-Man, 

Yes, the reset button on the switch on just reboots the switch. When a switch is on a rack it is much easier to just push a button that to unplug and replug the power cable to reboot it. It works the same way as the "device reboot" on the UI. 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 9 of 11
Net-Gear-Man
Guide

Thanks, all... for the help.  Everything worked just fine :).

Message 10 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Net-Gear-Man, 

We are glad to know that is it now working fine! Please click on "Mark as solution" on the post, this will help other users if they experience the same issue as yours. You can also give this thread a thumbs up. 

If you have more questions, please feel free to respond or create a new conversation. 

Have a great day! 

Thanks, 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements