× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem setting static IPs on M4100s

Budgie4
Tutor

Problem setting static IPs on M4100s

I am having difficulty setting static IPs on a pair of M4100 devices.  It was my intention to set the static IPs within the same subnet and use Vlan 100, which is the vlan I am using for device management to facilitate communications within the subnet. 

I sought to avoid a possible conflict by using sequential static IPs wihin the subnet but when I set the Vlan to 100 and try and save the configuration the default IPs reappear.

Can you help please? 

Model: M4100-12G-POE+ (GSM7212P)|ProSAFE Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch
Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Problem setting static IPs on M4100s

@Budgie4,

Kindly try to disconnect the M4100 switch from the existing network.  Create VLAN 100 and select the port member/s you want.  Select the port/s as untagged (U) with a PVID of 100.  Then, go to System > Management > Management Interfaces > IPv4 Management VLAN Configuration.  Change the Management VLAN to VLAN 100 and change the IP Address to the static IP Address you want to manage the switch.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Budgie4
Tutor

Hi and many thanks for the reply.  I shall have to try whan I can disconnect but device is in use at present.  Will find a good time to do this when it is quiet.  Meanwhile things are working seemingly OK but I know not entirely correctly!

Message 3 of 6
Budgie4
Tutor

Hi, I have just purchased a new and bigger switch as I had run out of ports with PoE etc.

Please could I re-visit this thread as I seek a little more help please setting up access ports for the management subnet. 

I am trying to set up and work with a management subnet and vlan 100. 

The management subnet with dhcp server is on one port of a Sophos UTM but I am trying to avoid having UTM involved with vlans, so and all the work is being done in the managed switch. 

I have followed your earler advice on previous threads with the wireless bridge and setting up wifi access points (with 3 SSID & vlanned subnets) and the arrangment seems to be working well, for which many thanks, but I am less confident on how to proceed for the management of these devices.  All devices have been given Vlan 100 management addresses but how should I set up the management address of the new managed switch so that I can manage all the vlan 100 devices, including the new switch from my own but different subnet? 

Model: GS728TPPv2|24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 4 of 6
Budgie4
Tutor

I must be thick but your instructions tell me to disconnect the switch and then change the configuration.  How can I do it if the switch is disconnected?

If I connect from a laptop I cannot configure the vlan.  If I try and change to another network I lose all connection and am now facing a factory reset.  Why should this be so difficult.  All I need is a clear instruction on how to change the management address from Vlan1 to VlanX without getting the system to refuse or crash.  I have read and followed many threads but none tell me how to change the configuration whilst disconnected.

I thought I would recourse to a USB connection to terminal.  The help guide for this device tells me I may need a USB driver and tells me to install from the CD which comes with the device.  Elsewhere there are instructions to use the USB cable that came with the device.  Well the box didn't include either a CD or the cable so what do you think I should do now please?

Model: GS728TPPv2|24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Budgie4,

Disconnecting the M4100 switch from the existing network before doing any change in its configuration is for safety.  Since you are unable to disconnect the M4100 switch from the existing network, you an still change the Management VLAN to VLAN 100 just be careful.

It is still the same steps.  Create VLAN 100 and select the port member/s you want.  Select the port/s as untagged (U) with a PVID of 100.  It is important that you select at least one port as member of VLAN 100 because on this port you will connect a PC/laptop to access the switch web-GUI to managed it. Then, go to System > Management > Management Interfaces > IPv4 Management VLAN Configuration.  Change the Management VLAN to VLAN 100 and change the IP Address to the static IP Address you want to manage the switch.

For assistance, it would be best to open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime so that a NETGEAR Support Expert can walk you through to the steps. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements