× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with full speed of GS110TP

pryncypalki
Tutor

Problem with full speed of GS110TP

Hello all,

I have a problem with the speed on the first port of the switch. I have to fix the speed to be able to see the device. If I will set the port speed to AUTO mode then the device is not visible/accessible at all and even the ethernet input is not blinking. 

When I will fix the speed to 100Mbps then everything looks fine, I can access the devices through the "outside world", but I cannot upload files bigger than 128kB on the Linux machine which is annoying and I'm sure that something related with the port1 is causing the problems because when I will try to send the files directly from Windows computer to the Linux machine then is fine. 

Anyways, I would like to have a full speed if I can. 

Is it possible to fix 1000Mbps or to force input to be active? 

The connection looks like this:

g1 port - (Switch - which is connected to the outside world) - 100Mbps Full Duplex (fixed speed)

g2 port - PoE - Camera  - (AUTO) 1000Mbps Full Duplex

g3 port - computer running on Linux - (AUTO) 1000Mbps Full Duplex

g8 port - computer running on Windows - (AUTO) 1000Mbps Full Duplex

Would you be so kind as to help me with the configuration?

Model: GS110TPv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit PoE smarta switch
Message 1 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Gigabit Ethernet is mandatory auto negotiation only. Tried a different port already?

What is making the connection to the "outside world"?

Fully fledged (eight strands/four pairs) CAT5E or better network cable to the "outside world"?

Current firmware in place -> https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS110TP.aspx#download ?

Message 2 of 15
pryncypalki
Tutor

The infrastructure is quite complex (is a company). Let's say that I informed IT guys that I will connect the Switch to their switch and they gave me a fixed IP address, default gateway, broadcast IP, DNS servers, etc.

If I will go with the direct connection to their network (with the computer) everything seems to be ok. I have full speed etc.

I've used CAT6 cables 

I've tried different ports.

I've the newest firmware 5.4.2.33

Maybe I'm missing something in the configuration.

Message 3 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Any corporate security on that uplink port probably?

Message 4 of 15
pryncypalki
Tutor

No, I don't think so. It's really strange because I have got some unmanaged switches and those are ok. It is really annoying. 

Message 5 of 15
pryncypalki
Tutor

Today I've connected GS105 switch in between and now everything is fine. Anyways, is not really efficient to have a switch connected to the switch just because something is wrong with GS110TP. Do you maybe know what can cause the problem? The router that I'm connected with is HP PROCURVE 5406ZM J8697A R

Message 6 of 15
pryncypalki
Tutor

Now I'm quite sure that there is a problem with the switch itself.

I've asked IT team at the company and they told me that the switch is using 100Mbps with Half duplex when I fixed the speed of the port to be 100Mbps with Full duplex. 

Now I fixed the speed of the port to 100Mbps with Half duplex and everything works much better, I can transfer the files etc.

Where should I ask for the help? The switch is quite crucial and I have to fix the problem.

Message 7 of 15
schumaku
Guru

The confirms my suspicion. Reads like a rare interoperability issue of the autonegotiation between the business switch and the GS110TP. @Christian_R @ChristineT  - an interoperability problem NTGR engineering has to look into please.

Message 8 of 15
pryncypalki
Tutor

Thank you very much for all your assistance schumaku. 

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Have a good one

Message 9 of 15
schumaku
Guru

As I'm not Netgear there is not much more than put in some references, have dropped a message to the product manager, too.

Message 10 of 15
pryncypalki
Tutor

Anyways, Thank you very much for your assitance! 

Message 11 of 15
pryncypalki
Tutor

Same issue occurs on:

Brocade / ICX 7450-24P 

Message 12 of 15
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

I've attempted to re-create this issue on my setup. Using a BR500 and connecting to port 1 of my GS110TPv2. At first I selected the port as autonegotiate and link port reports connected with LED lights on port 1 blinking normally. Connecting to my NAS on the ouside connects with no impact on transfer speed as described in your issue. Changing the port speed from auto to 100Mbps Full Duplex I do see a performance impact but I would like to review further on why you cannot set port 1 to auto without it impacting the connection.

I see that by isolating the device behind another switch you were able to get the port to set to auto without any impact which may be an issue between the HP device and the GS110. Is there anyway you can private message me your configuration file from the GS110 and I can load it to my switch for further testing?

Message 13 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@MrJoshW it's an interoperability issue with the auto negotiation between the GS110TP and some enterprise class switches. Manually bringing both ends to 100 Mb/s does mitigate (well, to 10% of the data rate). No need to test with configs - unless you have similar switches at hand for testing.

Message 14 of 15
pryncypalki
Tutor

I'm sorry to say but I'm not allowed to give you my config file because it has some data that are private for the company like a DNS server.

Anyways, with unmanaged Netgear GS105 switch connected between the switches, everything was working perfectly.

Brocade -> Netgear GS105 -> Netgear GS110TP - it works fine full speed (AUTO)

Brocade -> Netgear GS110TP - I have to fix the speed to 100Mbps and:

- with 100Mbps and FDX, Brocade switch sees it as a 100Mbps HDX and it is causing some problems, for example, I can't send files bigger than 288KB

- with 100Mbps and HDX, Brocade switch sees it as a 100Mbps HDX and it is working fine, I don't have any limits with the files/data. On the other hand, I don't want to be limited to such a speed, especially when I have some cameras connected.

Now the network support at my company fixed the outlet, which I'm using for the connection, to Brocade / ICX 7450-24P and I won't be able to change that.

I would buy a new PoE switch but this one is fixed and it would be really hard to remove it or to change it. Also, it won't be possible to change Brocade, for the moment, it is connected to several other machines that cannot be turned off.

Anyways I'm sorry to say but it is not worth to spend more FTE on this issue.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements