× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Researching 8 port switches with ability to disable EEE

robporetti
Aspirant

Researching 8 port switches with ability to disable EEE

I am looking for an inexpensive network switch that I can turn off EEE.  I've been on the web and reading many posts on this forum and completely disheartened about the mis-information, contractory statements, (including some made by Netgear "Experts"); and even just getting advice from someone who understands commerical AV applications and DANTE.  It's so bad, it could be funny; but it is sad.

No one wants to spend +500 on a 24 port switch for a simple DANTE requirement that requires 5-6 ports.  IMHO, the minor differences between each switch model is ridiculous; as others have pointed out, these differences are within the same product line.  Why would you have a feature on a 5 port switch and not on the 8 port switch?  How is someone supposed to understand what they are buying?

Frankly, it underlines some serious product managment disorganization that is concerning.

Nonetheless, if I had my choice, I would take a unmanaged 8-port switch without EEE; but they are not available.  The next best option is a minimally managed switch that lets me disable EEE.

Thanks for hearing the criticisim - and my frustration - and for some recommendations on a switch model(s).

Model: GS108E|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch, GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch, GS108T|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch, GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Researching 8 port switches with ability to disable EEE

@robporetti wrote:

I am looking for an inexpensive network switch that I can turn off EEE.  I've been on the web and reading many posts on this forum and completely disheartened about the mis-information, contractory statements, (including some made by Netgear "Experts"); and even just getting advice from someone who understands commerical AV applications and DANTE.  It's so bad, it could be funny; but it is sad.

Not what you want to hear, however, I give a try anyway...

Green Ethernet and IEEE 802.3az  EEE reduces device power consumption when network traffic is low. Switches that support EEE will automatically adjust their respective power-saving settings so that they match. Correctly implemented EEE does not normally interfere with Dante data.

It is the industry implementing Audinate Dante. It's a combination of software, hardware, and network protocols that delivers uncompressed, multi-channel, low-latency digital audio over a standard Ethernet network using Layer 3 IP packets.

However, many vendors implementing Audinate Dante still insist like a prayer mill that you get into the habit of disabling the EEE function.

They even have a list of Dante Network Blacklisted EEE Switches Audinate - dated back from 2016 and never updated since Either because of their game with the audio engineers scared enough people, fear of dropouts, hickups, re-sync, ... - or why ever.

Neither EEE nor the 802.3az are some "it is a relatively new technology" as Audinate want to make you belief - we talk of an industry standard set since October 2010.

Essential is the last sentence: "It is the responsibility of the user to verify switch compatibility." This means verify that it fulfills the audio engineer requirements - not crying for "can I disable EEE". These unmanaged or Web configureable switches are so inexpensive - this can't be asked to much, isn't it?

I know bands and portable studios operators which are making use of very basic simple (EEE green enabled) switches, no EEE controls, no IEEE802.3az controls, no QoS, ... branded, and no-names.

@robporetti wrote:

No one wants to spend +500 on a 24 port switch for a simple DANTE requirement that requires 5-6 ports. 

No audio engineer want to experience dropouts, hickups, re-sync, ... regardless because it's in the studio during _the_ hot take, a live stage, or a multi-million country-wide or global audience... 

In a world where reasonable quality dual audio2Dante interfaces are in the many hundred USD investing in the right switch, where one does easily connect many many thousands of USD in devices and computers are connected - even on a small deployment, where everything does come together and flowing you plan 5 USD/1G port for unmanaged, or 5.50 USD/1G configureable is the budget? Gimme a break - seriously - a switch cost of a quality audio cable with two quality connectors this is. No switch vendor will send such mass volume, low cost devices into certification or validiation programs for AVB (requiring additional features and licenses), Dante, SDVoE, ... 

@robporetti wrote:

IMHO, the minor differences between each switch model is ridiculous; as others have pointed out, these differences are within the same product line.  Why would you have a feature on a 5 port switch and not on the 8 port switch?  How is someone supposed to understand what they are buying?

Switch business and technology is still changing fast. For example on the M4300 Series, the feature sets are differing - depending when the models were specified, depending when one or the other high-demand feature became available on the switch cores.

@robporetti wrote:

Frankly, it underlines some serious product managment disorganization that is concerning.

The times are over where manufacturers launch massive series of "same" model numbers in one rush, and then offer these for a decade or longer. There are less than a hand full designers and makers of chipsets for these small switches, all brand and no-name switch makers are cooking with the very similar water.

@robporetti wrote:

Nonetheless, if I had my choice, I would take a unmanaged 8-port switch without EEE; but they are not available.  The next best option is a minimally managed switch that lets me disable EEE.

For almost 20 years, the world is hunting to save energy ... catch up with Energy Star in the US. It started with displays, computers, ... and now it's almost everywhere. Different (almost all) legislations require the best possible energy saving. This is what the chipset makers design. This is what the network device manufacturers implement. It's a global mass market for switches which have to comply to energy saving - not to niche features and designs obviously not compatible for a decade...

@robporetti wrote:

Thanks for hearing the criticisim - and my frustration - and for some recommendations on a switch model(s).

Send all this - including my independent answers (I'm neither paid nor supported by Netgear) above - to Audinate and their business partners licensing and implementing Dante technology.

Netgear's answers are the Pro AV Products 

• M4250 AV Line for 1G applications
  • M4300/M4500 for AV distribution, backhaul, uncompressed IGMP multicast video, ... 

if you want similar switches in even more audio rack style with Neutrik etherCON and fiberCON ... well possible you get Netgear custom hardware with other label attached. 

Message 2 of 4
robporetti
Aspirant

I think this response:

"Send all this - including my independent answers (I'm neither paid nor supported by Netgear) above - to Audinate and their business partners licensing and implementing Dante technology."

...is a microcosm of your understanding of DANTE, and the hundreds of manufacturers that create DANTE products for the AV marketplace. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Is there someone that works in an AV market that has a different opinion about an 8-port DANTE compatable switch, where 300 manfuacturers that makes thousands of DANTE enabled products, and will site DANTE requirements as soon as the smallest problem occurs?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Microcosmos is a good definition. Taking the amount of GbE switch ports manufactured in small switches/routers and deployed annually it must be in the not in the mili 10E-3, much more in the micro 10E-6 area.

Look, I had and still have similar discussions with my sons which are active as  pro AV/sound engineers / Tonmeister - challenging me regularly for this "magic" 8-Port switch for DANTE for small deployments and mini-stage installations.

@robporetti wrote:

Is there someone that works in an AV market that has a different opinion about an 8-port DANTE compatable switch, where 300 manfuacturers that makes thousands of DANTE enabled products, and will site DANTE requirements as soon as the smallest problem occurs?

There are much more requirements for a truly DANTE capable switch than the ability to disable Green Ethernet.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements