× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Restack switches with updated configuration

ghost974
Aspirant

Restack switches with updated configuration

I have a pair of S3300 stacked. I had to unstack them for a while. I have updated the configuration of the unit 2. (added VLAN, IPs)

What will happen when I'll restack them ? What if there's a conflict ?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Restack switches with updated configuration

Ahh oke, you want unit 1's config to stay. That is fine.

You don't need to actually shutdown unit 1. Just shutdown unit 2 --> then connect stacking cables --> then power on unit 2 and leave the stack reassemble. Now, unit 1 will be the initial master and push the config to unit 2.

So yes, you can leave one unit (the intended initial master) running whilst doing this.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi,

When you stack switches, there is a master and the rest are members. The stack master pushes the config to the members. In your case, you want unit 2 to push the config to unit 1 - hence unit 2 must be the initial master upon reassembly of the stack. You can decide who is master initially via the boot order.

So, simply do this: Turn both units off. Connect the stacking cables. Then power up unit 2 and let it fully power. Now power unit 1 and wait for the stack to reassemble. Upon reassembly of the stack, unit 2 (the master) pushed it's config to unit 1 and you are all good.

From here on it no longer matters who is the master as both have the same config now.

Cheers

Message 2 of 4
ghost974
Aspirant

I actually want unit 2 to get overwritten by unit 1 which stayed up all the time, whereas unit 2 was updated after a shutdown.

I can't shutdown unit 1. When I'll reconnect them, will unit 2 's config be overwritten ? I have to shut it down first, connect, power on right ?

Thx !

Message 3 of 4
Hopchen
Prodigy

Ahh oke, you want unit 1's config to stay. That is fine.

You don't need to actually shutdown unit 1. Just shutdown unit 2 --> then connect stacking cables --> then power on unit 2 and leave the stack reassemble. Now, unit 1 will be the initial master and push the config to unit 2.

So yes, you can leave one unit (the intended initial master) running whilst doing this.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements