× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Routing Question

jameswiltshire
Aspirant

Routing Question

Hi,

I`m trying to route traffic on our switch to another switch but i`m struggling and need some help. 

On switch 1 i have data vlan, VLAN 10: 10.0.10.0/24, and i need to connect to another network (switch 2) on a partners site, subnet 10.23.31.0/24 on gateway 10.23.31.254 through port 50 which is connected via a fibre. 

I have added a static route on our switch 10.23.31.0 next hop ip 10.23.31.254 but this is not working. Do i need to set up a vlan on switch 1? 

Any help will be most appriciated. 

James

Model: M4100-50G-POE+ (GSM7248P)|ProSafe 50 ports gigabits fully managed L2 switch with PoE+
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Routing Question

Hi @jameswiltshire 

Welcome to the community!

Yes, correct!

You need create new routing VLAN that include port 50 that connect to partners side. Set an IP address same subnet as 10.23.31.0 for this routing VLAN. Then enable globle routing on Switch. 

And in this scenario, you need not set static route for partners subnet, it will reach parters via directly connected route table.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ
NETGEAR employee

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Routing Question

Hi @jameswiltshire 

Welcome to the community!

Yes, correct!

You need create new routing VLAN that include port 50 that connect to partners side. Set an IP address same subnet as 10.23.31.0 for this routing VLAN. Then enable globle routing on Switch. 

And in this scenario, you need not set static route for partners subnet, it will reach parters via directly connected route table.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

EricZ
NETGEAR employee

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements