× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SFP and port question for a M4100-D12G-POE+

Colin_Welsh
Follower

SFP and port question for a M4100-D12G-POE+

2 Questions (really basic):

1. What does "shared" mean when the documentation talks about the SFP slots? I need to connect the switch to 3 other destinations so was intending on using 3 SFP slots, but the documentation talks about "shared" SFP's so I'm a little concerned that I can only use 2 with the others a hot spares.

2. Can I lock down unused Ethernet ports so that if someone "accidently" plugs into a port, it won't work? Can this be done through a web browser?

Model: GSM5212Pv1h2 | M4100-D12G-PoE+ProSAFE 12-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch with PoE+
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: SFP and port question for a M4100-D12G-POE+

Hi Colin_Welsh,

Welcome to our community! Smiley Happy

1. What does "shared" mean when the documentation talks about the SFP slots? I need to connect the switch to 3 other destinations so was intending on using 3 SFP slots, but the documentation talks about "shared" SFP's so I'm a little concerned that I can only use 2 with the others a hot spares.

Shared SFP is actually a combo port. Once you use one of the SFP port, you cannot use one of the copper port anymore. Any combination will do. So if you use 3 SFP ports, then you cannot use the 3 copper ports beside it. But, you can still use the last copper port just in case you need it.

2. Can I lock down unused Ethernet ports so that if someone "accidently" plugs into a port, it won't work? Can this be done through a web browser?

Yes, you can manually disable the ports by going to Switching > Ports > Port Configuration. Put a check mark on the specific port that you want to to turn off and set the admin mode to "Disable".

Just let me know if you have questions.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: SFP and port question for a M4100-D12G-POE+

Hi Colin_Welsh,

Welcome to our community! Smiley Happy

Shared SFP is actually a combo port. Once you use one of the SFP port, you cannot use one of the copper port anymore. Any combination will do. So if you use 3 SFP ports, then you cannot use the 3 copper ports beside it. But, you can still use the last copper port just in case you need it.

Yes, you can manually disable the ports by going to Switching > Ports > Port Configuration. Put a check mark on the specific port that you want to to turn off and set the admin mode to "Disable".

Just let me know if you have questions.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements