× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Selecting the right Managed Switch for my needs

D_Nicholls
Aspirant

Selecting the right Managed Switch for my needs

Hi all,

I am looking for some help seleting a Managed Switch that will allow me to limit the speeds of the ports.

Currently I am developing some software and would like to test the software's robustness on limited internet connections. To do these tests I would like to be able to get a switch where I can limit the ports to the following speeds or as close to as possible; 256kbps, 512kbps 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5Mbps and 10Mbps download speeds and 256kbps, 512Kbps and 1Mbps Upload speeds.

As this will allow me to see how the application works under slow/poor internet connection speeds.

I have been looking over different models and to be honest it is getting a little confusing with feature names and what it is called that i am looking for.

Originally I looked at both the GS108E and the GS308T Managed Switches, however upon reading through the manuals for both it is not obvious if they are capable of doing what I am looking for.

Please can someone help with this or advise on a suitable managed switch to achieve what I am looking for. I have a limited budget so would prefer to keep it to either a 4 Port or 8 Port Switch.

Thank you in advance for any assitance with this.

D Nicholls

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Selecting the right Managed Switch for my needs

Hello @D_Nicholls 

The current Smart Managed Plus switches series is already supporting Rate Control for ingress and egress per port.

Have an eye on the QOS - Rate Limit settings (-> Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switches User Manual, p.41/42. This is the list of available speeds on a GS105PE for example (egress offers the same stepping):

GS105PE_Rate_Limits.PNG

Ensure you get the "current" version - see the GSxxxx[Vnn] on the first page.

Double check with the onlne specification and the Data Sheet - we've spotted some deviations in the feature set recently.

Regards,

-Kurt.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hello @D_Nicholls 

The current Smart Managed Plus switches series is already supporting Rate Control for ingress and egress per port.

Have an eye on the QOS - Rate Limit settings (-> Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switches User Manual, p.41/42. This is the list of available speeds on a GS105PE for example (egress offers the same stepping):

GS105PE_Rate_Limits.PNG

Ensure you get the "current" version - see the GSxxxx[Vnn] on the first page.

Double check with the onlne specification and the Data Sheet - we've spotted some deviations in the feature set recently.

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 2 of 3
D_Nicholls
Aspirant

Thank you Kurt,

That was a helpful link.

I can now see that It was well worth posting the question to the community. 

from the information provided I can see that either the GS105PE or the GS108Ev3 should be suitabel for what I am looking to achieve.

Thank you once again.

Best regards,

David

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements