× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Smartwizard fails to discover GS748T on same segment

henrylaw
Tutor

Smartwizard fails to discover GS748T on same segment

GS748T v2 running V1.0.3_06. Test network is connected to a Netgear FR114P which is serving 192.168.10.0/24 DHCP addresses.

Factory reset on the GS748T ends up with it on 192.168.10.51 (found by nmap) and confirmed via the "attached devices" screen on the FR114P.

Smartwizard v 2.05.05 (protocol V2.0) running on a directly-attached Windows 10 machine fails to find the switch, but I can administer it via http://192.168.10.51 on the same PC. No it's not the firewall; I use Windows Defender and there's still no discovery with the firewall turned off altogether. The GS748T is on the same network segment as the PC running Smartwizard.

Where do I go from here? I need to update the firmware, and I can't do it other than with the Smartwizard.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
henrylaw
Tutor

Re: Smartwizard fails to discover GS748T on same segment (solved)

Well, that was easy.  It's official: SmartWizard 2.5.5 does not work on Windows 10.

I found the one W7 machine I still have, dragged the switch away from the testbench to where the desktop PC was, connected everything, set IP addressing appropriately and SmartWizard went off with a roar.

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Smartwizard fails to discover GS748T on same segment

Hi @henrylaw,

Let us isolate the problem.  If ever you have another PC such as a Windows 7 PC, I suggest you to install the NETGEAR Smartwizard Utility v2.5.5 in it then connect it directly to a LAN port of the GS748Tv2 switch and check if it will be detected.

If ever the GS748Tv2 switch got detected, I advise you to upgrade the firmware in a ladderized manner.  The current firmware v1.0.3_0 you have in the GS748Tv2 switch is a very old firmware version and its not advisable to update it straight to the latest version.   I suggest that you first upgrade the firmware from v1.0.3_06 to v1.0.3_08.  Then, upgrade the firmware from v1.0.3_08 to v1.0.3_10 and so on until you reach the latest v3.0.7.  Be reminded to perform a factory reset on the switch after upgrading to the latest version then reconfigure the settings from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
henrylaw
Tutor

Re: Smartwizard fails to discover GS748T on same segment (solved)

Well, that was easy.  It's official: SmartWizard 2.5.5 does not work on Windows 10.

I found the one W7 machine I still have, dragged the switch away from the testbench to where the desktop PC was, connected everything, set IP addressing appropriately and SmartWizard went off with a roar.

Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements