× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Static IP Configuration on Stacked M5300-28G Switches

SJHCVA
Guide

Static IP Configuration on Stacked M5300-28G Switches

Hi there

We purchased a couple of M5300-28G switches a few years back.  NETGEAR came in and configured them into a stack for us.  The stack originally picked up an IP address from our DHCP server.  We're currently replacing our server environment and would like to set a static IP address, but we're having trouble figuring out where to do that...

We've looked all through the settings but can only find reference to the default IP in the Network Interface Configuration, 169.254.100.100.  We can't locate the settings for how it acquires an IP or where to set it manually anywhere.  I assume this is something to do with how the switches are configured as a stack maybe?

Would anyone be able to point us in the right direction please?

Kind regards

Dan

Model: M5300-28G (GSM7228S)|ProSafe 24-port Gigabit L2+ Managed Stackable Switch
Message 1 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SJHCVA, 

I believe you need to look at the DHCP Server Settings. You'll have the option to enable or disable DHCP server settings of the switch. Please see page 86 of the User Manual.  If you want to change the management IP of the switch, see page 25 (Configuring management VLAN). 

Let us know if this helps. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 11
SJHCVA
Guide

Many thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I'd already been over those pages but didn't find them very useful 😞

The DHCP is already turned off, as I think it should be, since our DC does our local LAN IP distribution?

M5300-28G_01.jpg

When I look at page 25 I'm unable to locate the "Initial Setup" menu item it refers to:

M5300-28G_02.jpg

And on the specific network configuration screen for IPv4 it states the default IP address, which does still work if you match the range on the machine you're trying to access it from.  But it also works with the address we've assigned it via a reservation in the DHCP settings on the DC.  I cannot find any reference to this local IP address anywhere on the switch settings, which is strange isn't it?

I've been able to configure our 25 other switches (GS724T's, GS748T's, GS748TP's and some GS110TP's) with static IPs, I just can't figure this stack out...

Kind regards

Dan

Message 3 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello SJHCVA, 

Sorry it took a little time for me to get back to your. I did a little search and found out that the M5300 and M4100 switches are using device IP and management IP separately. This is very different from the other switches that you have  (GS724T's, GS748T's, GS748TP's and some GS110TP's). I have found a forum conversation that has some explanation regarding this. I hope this would put some sense to what I'm saying. Please see the conversation here

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi SJHCVA, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 11
SJHCVA
Guide

Hi JohnRo

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  We've had a bit of a nightmare senario going on here which has involved us rebuilding our entire domain network from scratch, including over 350 machines and 100 software titles etc.  We're just working through the last few batches of machines now, so I've had a little bit of time to look at this again.

I had a quick read through the thread you linked, but I'm still unsure on what I need to do exactly.  At the moment I've just changed the IP address by using reservations on our DHCP, but if that DHCP goes down and the switches are powered off, I'm not sure what would happen to the wireless network.  I would assume all routing to the outside world would cease...

You'd think it would be fairly easy to set a static IP on these things wouldn't you...  I think I mentioned above, we've done this across our entire range of NETGEAR switches already, it's just this one device that's causing us some head scratching 🙂

Kind regards

Dan

Message 6 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dan, 

We'll, the web-ui IP and the switches IP are managed differently for these models. The web-UI IP can be changed through the user interface is not while the latter needs to be changed using CLI. The previous threads I have posted contains the CLI command you need to use to change the switch IP. 

Thanks,

Message 7 of 11
SJHCVA
Guide

Hi JohnRo

Thanks for the reply.

My concern is that I don't really know what I'm doing, so if I mess this up by not fully understanding it, I potentially take out internet access for hundreds of machines across the site...  But at the same time, I need to make sure some services still function if there were to be a localised power outage etc.

Can the CLI command be run from a web interface or does it involve plugging something into the switch directly etc?

Kind regards

Dan

Message 8 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dan, 

You use a terminal to connect to the switch and enter the CLI commands. I think it is best to contact our Support Team and have them walk you through changing the device IP of the switch. Just like what I have mentioned in my previous post, the M5300 series has a different device IP and a Web-UI IP. Mostly this is due to the switch being managed even on a different VLAN and some routing setups. If you are not familiar with using CLI, please feel free to contact the support team. Just make you that you are clear on what you want to accomplish. 

Thanks,

Message 9 of 11
SJHCVA
Guide

Hi JohnRo

Thought I'd pop in a quick update.

I was contacted by a nice chap from support the other day, who set up a remote session to take a look at the web interface with me.  He said that it looked like the IP address was already set, to which I explained I ended up doing it via DHCP using the MAC address of the top switch.  He said that the IP could be changed by just using the VLAN settings on the switch in future.  He thinks it should be ok now anyway.

I just need to test it by taking the reservation out of the DHCP and turning it off, then rebooting the switch to see if it retains the same/correct IP address.  I can't currently do that but intend to try it during the next half term holiday, which is in a couple of weeks.

I'll update again when I've got the result Smiley Happy

Kind regards

Dan

Message 10 of 11
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dan, 

Nice to know that! We'll wait for the result of the testing and hopefully work as you'd like it to be. 

Have a great day! 

Thanks,

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements