× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Static IP vs. IPv4 Network Interface

pingster400
Aspirant

Static IP vs. IPv4 Network Interface

We purchased a few M5100-28G and M4100-50G switches a while ago, however we have an issue where even though you give the switch a static IP, the IPv4 Network Interface will still show up as 169.254.100.100/16. The static IP would be in the 10.25.1.0/23 range. Never had this issue with any other Netgear switches over the years, but only on these guys.

Tried different FW versions, with same result. Thoughts?

Model: M5300-28G_POE+ (GSM7228PSv1h2)|ProSAFE 24+4 L2+ Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch
Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Static IP vs. IPv4 Network Interface

@pingster400,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

You may change the management IP of both switches by going to System > Management > Management Interfaces > IPv4 Management VLAN Configuration. From there, you may set your specified IP address of the switch in order for you to access it.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
pingster400
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply John, however this doesn't really solve the problem.

For example, one switch I have already configured using static IP 10.25.1.51/23 which works fine.

However after the switch rebooted, the IPv4 address reverted back to 169.254.100.100/16 with no DFGW.

Ironically I have just logged onto the switch via our Windows DC on network 10.25.1.0/23 using a web brower to access the gui via 10.25.1.51/23 and the switch login screen appears and I can see the switch working, although the IPv4 address is still 169.254.100.100/16 with no mention of 10.25.1.51/23.

On another note, on the 10.25.1.0/23 network if I gui to 169.254.100.100, then the switch login page still loads.

Any thoughts on why this would happen?

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@pingster400,

You may need to save your configuration first before rebooting the switch so that it won't be deleted. You may save your configuration in Maintenance > Save Config > Save Configuration. 

Your configuration changes are saved across a system reboot. All changes submitted since the previous save or system reboot are retained by the switch.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
pingster400
Aspirant

Hi John,

I should have mentioned that I save the running-config of the switch first so know that it's not an issue with a reboot and losing the saved config.

Switches in this condition have been installed for c. 3 years with a number of reboots. On a few occasions but not always, this only happened after the firmware was updated and it removed our static IP, and reverted to the default. However the switch was still fully useable using our static IP, you couldn't see it listed anywhere on the switch.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements