× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch GS108T

firefox111
Apprentice

Switch GS108T

Hello.  I have this 8-port managed switch which I can no longer manage the most of the functions because the management service on it requires java.  Well, most of the modern browsers now hate java!  And I no longer have antique PC with browser that still supports java.  This switch is serving a NAS with Link Aggregation.  This setup was installed a long time ago, around the EOL of Windows 7!  So I need to upgrade my NAS setup.  Can anyone recommend another managed switch that supports LACP LAG?  Is Netgear no longer make SOHO (Small Office/Home Office) switches?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

From what I'm aware, Java was used only for the graphical front panel display nicknamed "Device View". All controls are available, even without Java being called. Nothing does stop you from accessing the Web UI o all these legacy switches (for decades here, on any modern web browser) e.g. on a as of writing current Version 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build) (64-bit).

No clue from where the idea is coming that Java is mandatory - no hacks, no Java, ... this is the only exception:

Device View.PNG

All Netgear managed, almost all Smart Managed (cloud manage capable, too) and Plus configurable Netgear switches are supporting LAGs. Small differences can exist, might be very few small models only offer static LAG while most offer static and dynamic LACP LAG. Watch the data sheet fine print - to many different models to draw the line here.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

From what I'm aware, Java was used only for the graphical front panel display nicknamed "Device View". All controls are available, even without Java being called. Nothing does stop you from accessing the Web UI o all these legacy switches (for decades here, on any modern web browser) e.g. on a as of writing current Version 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build) (64-bit).

No clue from where the idea is coming that Java is mandatory - no hacks, no Java, ... this is the only exception:

Device View.PNG

All Netgear managed, almost all Smart Managed (cloud manage capable, too) and Plus configurable Netgear switches are supporting LAGs. Small differences can exist, might be very few small models only offer static LAG while most offer static and dynamic LACP LAG. Watch the data sheet fine print - to many different models to draw the line here.

Message 2 of 3
firefox111
Apprentice

Yeah, you're right.  It has been years when I logged in yesterday, it presented me with a "download java" popup!  I don't need to replace this device after all.  All my LAG are still working: g1 and g2 uplink to router, g7  & g8 to my NAS. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements