× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch host name registered DNS name is always blank

oikjn
Tutor

Switch host name registered DNS name is always blank

firmware v11.0.0.31

Is there any way to get the switch to register its name with DNS/DHCP?  I tried using both static IP configurations and DHCP, but the DNS won't register and the DHCP lease (on a windows DHCP server) shows a blank name for the lease.

I tried putting a name in the "System Name" field, but that didn't work.

Under DNS, I wasn't 100% clear if "DNS Default Name" was supposed to be the domain or the FQDN, but I tried it both ways and its always blank.

What am I missing?

Model: M5300-52G-POE+ (GSM7252PSv1h2)|Prosafe 48+4 L2+ POE Stackable Managed Switch
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @oikjn 

On Netgear switch, "system name" is designed to be used as device name by uPnP/NSDP/SNMP protocol discovery, not used for DNS domain or FQDN, thanks for your understand.

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re-iterating @Retired_Member information a little bit ... DHCP and DNS updates are two complete different and independent features. Before Windows Server 2003 (if I have my old grey cells right), there were ways to configure a DHCP server to dynamically update DNS with the name provided along with the DHCP request. Starting from then some secure DNS update methods were implemented, e.g. on Windows systems, allowing to dynamically update the DNS server with the name and IP. Such a feature might be nice for mobile clients like Windows systems on notebooks which connect to different sites, at different locations of an organisation. Most embedded systems, including routers and switches, don't have such a DNS updater (e.g. per RFC3008) on board.

Message 3 of 6
oikjn
Tutor

@schumaku , your memory does serve you correctly.  The DHCP server will securely update an Active directory integrated DNS server to match device names with IP addresses the DHCP server issues.  The "issue" is that for whatever reason, the netgear switches do not provide a name to the DHCP server and this IS unusual.  Pretty much every other device I have like switches from other companies or Access points or pretty much everything at least provide the DHCP server with a device name.

@Retired_Member Why would you NOT use the system name for device registration with DNS/DHCP?  every other device manufacturer I'm aware of provides does this.and it seems trivial and more like this is simply an oversight for some reason.  

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@oikjn wrote:

The "issue" is that for whatever reason, the netgear switches do not provide a name to the DHCP server and this IS unusual.  Pretty much every other device I have like switches from other companies or Access points or pretty much everything at least provide the DHCP server with a device name.  

Ok, you are certainly right - must admit that we configure the Netgear Managed class switches to static IP configs by VLAN and only manage static DCHP reservations for fall-back and I've never cared about the DNS registration (they are registered in DNS manually anyway).

@oikjn wrote:

Why would you NOT use the system name for device registration with DNS/DHCP?  every other device manufacturer I'm aware of provides does this.and it seems trivial and more like this is simply an oversight for some reason.  

The Smart Managed Pro and Smart Managed Plus do supply the configured host names. Let's see what @LaurentMa can enhance the specs svp.

Message 5 of 6
oikjn
Tutor

@schumaku - Our core switch stack has been static assigned for years, but I"ve recently been replacing some older HP switches with more of these m5300's our at our perimeter and frankly it would be easier to manage the perimeter ones using dynamic DHCP since that also updates DNS names.  Static IPs and DNS is obviously possible, but maintenance of that long-term is always a problem with a lot of Static entries, so I"m trying to take everything reasonable I can and get them dynamically updating DNS..

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements