× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Transceiver sonnet SFP+ SR compatible M4300

dgonsi
Follower

Transceiver sonnet SFP+ SR compatible M4300

Hi, i want to know if this SFP+ Short-Range transceiver: Sonnet G10E-SFP-SR

https://www.sonnetstore.com/collections/network-adapters/products/sfpmodule-shortrange

is compatible with the Switch: Netgear M4300-12x12F 

I would like to connect the sfp+ transceiver directly in 10GBase-X SFP+ ports of netgear switch

replacing AXM761

Does anyone knows if it is compatible and reliable?

some other better module?

thank u!

regards to community

Message 1 of 6
Acorn123
Aspirant

Re: Transceiver sonnet SFP+ SR compatible M4300

i suggest you choose this one https://www.cozlink.com/fiber-optic-transceivers-c322-324/product-62843.html

It is cheaper a lot.

Im sure it can be compatible with your switch:Netgear M4300-12X12F.

Best regards,

Acorn

Message 2 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi dgonsi and Acorn123

In our M4300 documentation, we specify NETGEAR-only modules. Why? Because NETGEAR designs and tests its switch products for use with genuine NETGEAR Modules only. The use of third-party modules may result in reduced network performance and reliability, such as packet loss and connectivity issues. While the use of third-party Modules does not affect the NETGEAR switch's warranty, NETGEAR may not provide technical support for networking problems it determines are caused by third-party Modules only. In your situation, cheap modules on the internet don't inspire me. I trust reliability is most important to me, perfect interop, seamless support by NETGEAR, etc. 

To answer your question, we strive to offer maximum compatibility with standard based, high quality third-party modules, when it's possible. We don't claim universal support. I'd personnally be careful with lowest cost 10G optics.

Acorn123, would you let us know which NETGEAR 10G switch you are using?

Regards,

Message 3 of 6
zx10guy
Aspirant

I'm resurrecting this thread about optics.  I would also like to know if Netgear has a vendor lockout embedded in their firmware to exclude the use of other vendor optics/DAC (Twinax) cabling.  I understand the discussion about having validated optics which are specfic to the manufacturer of the switch.  But I have quite a few quality Dell Networking optics, some Cisco optics, and a large quantity of Dell Networking/Cisco DAC cabling.  I highly doubt media from these companies won't pass a QA check with Netgear.  I will take my chances with support if it comes down to a layer 1 issue.

Please let me know if there is a transceiver lockout or if there is a command I can issue which bypasses it such as what Cisco has with their NX-OS.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi zx10guy

Thank you for your understanding, first: NETGEAR designs and tests its switch products for use with genuine NETGEAR Modules only. The use of third-party modules may result in reduced network performance and reliability, such as packet loss and connectivity issues. While the use of third-party Modules does not affect the NETGEAR switch's warranty, NETGEAR may not provide technical support for networking problems it determines are caused by third-party Modules only. 

Your question about locking: in general, there is no such locking mechanism embedded in NETGEAR switches' firmware to exclude the use of other vendor optics/DAC (Twinax) cabling. As a matter of fact, third-party modules must be MSA standard in order to be compatible with NETGEAR switches. There is only one exception: NETGEAR M6100 chassis switch comes with such locking mechanism for SFP+ fiber optics only (not DAC cables), and we publish the list of NETGEAR and third-party certified SFP+ transceivers in M6100 FAQ document on the Product page, under the Resources tab.

Yes, please go ahead with your branded optics and DAC cables. As you say, there should be no issue with those.

Regards,

Message 5 of 6
zx10guy
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply and the link to the FAQ.  It's interesting only HP branded third party optics have been validated.  I be getting the 8x8 port M4300 today and will test the optics and cables I have soon.  I'll report back both postive and negative about what I find out.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements