× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trunk between Cisco and Netgear

Belpaire
Follower

Trunk between Cisco and Netgear

Hello,

At work we're working with cisco for Core and access layer (switches). Because we don't have enough outlets at certain points throughout the building we are forced to either make more or use a small switch. The problem is that we use different vlans for our printers and pc's. For this to work I need to set up a trunk but this won't work with the GS105. I'm looking for a netgear switch with which this WOULD work. It should have max 5 ports.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Trunk between Cisco and Netgear

I don't think that at 5 ports you'll be able to find a model satisfying your needs (not only with Netgear). Most models with proper VLAN support start at 8 ports or higher. Most switches of the smart managed pro line should have full VLAN support, hence models like the GS308T, GS310TP could be a fit.

However if you are used to CLI and plan on using many of these smaller switches, you might consider a fully managed model with a CLI and a console port. However I have come to realize that in the case of Netgear they don't make that many small, yet fully managed switches that are fanless (which is likely a requirement in an office space). That said: The same problem exists with other vendors as to.

The only fanless model (without PoE) that I have come across still seems to be the GSM5212 from the M4100 line. It should still be much less expensive than what Cisco proposes in that space though. If you are familiar with the IOS CLI, the Netgear CLI is very similar and easy to pick up.

Message 2 of 3
jec956613
Tutor

Re: Trunk between Cisco and Netgear

The GSM5212 as mentioned above and also the GS108T and GS308T would fit the bill.  As a bonus, both can be PoE powered to simplify deployment, are fanless, and come with low port count.

FWIW, the GSM5212 really is a much better switch.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements