× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trunk speed link issue

mojogar
Aspirant

Trunk speed link issue

I am trying ot trunk 2 switches at 1000mb.  The 1st is a Cisco 3650 and the latter a Netgear M4100-50G.  I can only get the link to work with both sides set to "Auto", and they only negotiate at 100mb.  My WAN provider has a couple of Cisco 3560 linked to the Netgear at 1000mb configed to auto, no problems on there end.  I can see that they are 1000mb in the Netgear interface.

Things I have tried:

switching adn verifying the physical layer.  Check.  I have tried and verified other ethernet cables.

changing the Cisco trunk interface to 1000mb manual.  check

changing the Cisco trunk interface to full-duplex manual.  check

changing the Cisco trunk interface to "speed auto1000"mb manual.  check

When chaging the interface to manual, connection goes down, I have tried rebooting the switch when this happens.

On the Netgear side, there is no command for setting the port to 1000mb.  I only have options for 10 100.  So it seems that auto is the only way to negotiate 1000mb.  Is there anything Im missing on the netgear side?

Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @mojogar,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

If the port is set to Auto, it is set at 1000 Mbps.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Have you tried setting other ports of the M4100-50G as tagged (T) port with the Cisco 3650 and check if the trunk link negotiates at 1000Mbps?

b. What is the current firmware version of the M4100-50G switch? 

c. Do you have another NETGEAR switch?  If yes, kindly try to set a trunk link with the  M4100-50G switch and check if it negotiates at 1000Mbps.  On the other hand, using the other NETGEAR switch you have, try to set a trunk link with the Cisco 3650 and check if the trunk link negotiates at 1000Mbps.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
mojogar
Aspirant

I have tried other ports on the Netgear to no avail.

the firmware on the switch is 10.0.1.16

Ill try your 3rd sugestions and let you know.  I do have another prosafe that does negotiate at 1000mb with the cisco but the port is a straight access and not a trunk.  I will try with a trunk port.

Model: M4100-50G (GSM7248v2h2)|ProSAFE 50-port Gigabit Fully Managed L2 Switch
Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mojogar,

Thanks for the feedback.  If ever the same problem occur after trying my 3rd suggestion, I suggest you to upgrade the firmware of the M4100-50G from v10.0.1.16 to the latest v10.0.2.26 in a ladderized manner.  The procedure would be, first, upgrade the firmware from v10.0.1.16 to v10.01.21.  Then, upgrade the firmware from v10.01.21 to v10.0.1.27 and so on until you reach the latest v10.0.2.26.  Observe if the same problem will occur. 

You can download the firmware versions for the M4100-50G switch on this link

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
mojogar
Aspirant

will do.

I tried the 3rd step with a Prosafe JSG524e and it negotiated flawlessly.  I will update the firmware next and keep you posted.

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mojogar,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Any updates? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements