× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to get AXM761 in a M4300 to work with a TP-Link MC200CM Media Converter

Marv21
Guide

Trying to get AXM761 in a M4300 to work with a TP-Link MC200CM Media Converter

Hello,

iam trying to get my Fiber to work. On the one side there is a M4300-52G-PoE+ and on the other side a TP-Link MC200CM Mediaconverter.

The Converter is 1 Gbit and has the following protocolls:

IEEE802.3ab
IEEE802.3z
IEEE802.3x

I cant find which protocoll the AXM761 uses, but i thought it will use one that everybody understands. Or isnt the AXM761 (which is 10Gbits)

downwardly compatible with 1Gbits?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Trying to get AXM761 in a M4300 to work with a TP-Link MC200CM Media Converter

In the fibre world there is no speed negotiation as we know it from copper based Ethernet. Install a 1000BASE-[whatevertechnologyrequired] SFP module in the M4300 SFP(+).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Trying to get AXM761 in a M4300 to work with a TP-Link MC200CM Media Converter

In the fibre world there is no speed negotiation as we know it from copper based Ethernet. Install a 1000BASE-[whatevertechnologyrequired] SFP module in the M4300 SFP(+).

Message 2 of 6
Marv21
Guide

Thank you!

Just swaped an 1GBit Module in and it worked instantly!

Sorry iam new to this whole Fiber thing and googling didnt show any defiinite answer (some said yes some said no some maybe...)

But thanks again for the fast answer!

Message 3 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

@schumaku Thank you!

@Marv21 Congratulations and glad to see it is working fine. For future reference, the way we explain how fiber ports (SFP or SFP+ garages) support different speeds is the following:

If you look at the M4300 4-page Product Brief (rapid overview) or M4300 Brochure (more complete overview) or the comprehensive M4300 datasheet (exhaustive information) under the M4300 product page Resources tab, we show 1G/10G speeds for the SFP+ ports in the Hardware at a glance section, or later at the beginning of the Tech Spec section. This indicates which Ethernet speeds are supported out of these ports. And then we show the list of "compatible" modules in the Modules and Accessories section. The 1G SFP optics (AGM731F or AGM732F SFP transceivers) are necessary for 1000BASE-SX or 1000BASE-LX connections. As @schumaku said, physical SFP or SFP+ ports on switches can be auto-sense or auto-neg, but SFP+ or SFP transceivers are not - they can only work at their nominal speed. 

Regards,

Message 4 of 6
Marv21
Guide

Yeah, i looked on the page mentioned and on the specifikations from the AXM761. There wasnt describe that it will NOT do 1Gbit. (Because i think for expert in this field its quiet obvious - for me it wasnt).

Eg. the AXM765 has it clearly described on your page : " No 10G / 1G speed auto-negotiation when inserted in SFP+ 10G port, only 10G speed is allowed (no connection with 1G / 1000BASE-T device is possible in that case) ".

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Don't worry...

@Marv21wrote:

Eg. the AXM765 has it clearly described on your page : " No 10G / 1G speed auto-negotiation when inserted in SFP+ 10G port, only 10G speed is allowed (no connection with 1G / 1000BASE-T device is possible in that case) ". 

Most of these bullet points are in place because these are deviations from the copper Ethernet standards, ie. the lack of auto negotiation, the shorter max reach (caused by the SFP/SFP+ port power not being sufficient to drive a full length 100 meters link on 10 Gb).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements