× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN Configuration

damienginty
Follower

VLAN Configuration

Hi - looking for some help or advice.......

Hi we have 2 x Netgear M7100-24x, these are connected to 2 HP5920af switches that are in an IRF stack (virtual switch) both using 4 ports in a bridge / link aggregation (2 cables from the M7100-24x to each of the HP5920af switches).  The HP5920 are connected to 2 x HP5130Ei switches in exactly the same way as the Netgear M7100 switches.

Traffic flows through all switches as expected and the link/bridge aggregations appear to function on all switches.  My problems start with the introduction of layer 2 VLANs.  All switches have several VLANS setup.  All bridge/link aggregations on the HP5920af are tagged in all VLANS. The Netgear M7100 and HP5130EI switches have their link/bridge aggregations tagged on all VLANS and a number of front ports are setup as access ports to each VLAN.

The HP switches pass VLAN traffic as expected e.g.

Equipment connected to Port 10 on VLAN 5 on HP5130 number one can see the equipment connected to Port 10 on VLAN 5 on the second HP 5130 (the HP5920 connect these 2 switches together) – happy days…..    The same is not true on the Netgear M7100-24x switches, no matter what I try I cannot get traffic to go from a front port of the switch that is a member of only 1 VLAN through the link aggregation (tagged) to any other switch.  I appreciate that I am probably doing something wrong with how Netgear switches are to be configured but I have no idea what.

I’m new to the Netgear world so any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Model: M7100-24X (XSM7224)|ProSafe 24 ports 10G fully managed L2 switch
Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: VLAN Configuration

Hi @damienginty,

Let me share the article below.  On the article below, 2 NETGEAR switches are used connected via a VLAN trunk link which is similar to your setup wherein the M7100-24x is connected via a LAG to the HP5920af switch:

How do I setup a VLAN trunk link between two NETGEAR switches?

Hope it helps.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements