× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLAN/ DCHP help

vabulldog
Aspirant

VLAN/ DCHP help

Hello,

'I have a new GS752TPv2 switch. I am hooked up to my Fios router. I was able to change my switch's IP address and wanted to play around with VLANS. I added 2 VLANS (50 & 90). My local network is 192.168.1.0/24. I am getting a DHCP address of 192.168.1.181 on my machine through the switch. How do I access the VLANS I created. I've attached the steps I've taken. Am I missing something? 

vabulldog_0-1659106309702.png

I enabled routing mode

vabulldog_1-1659106441819.png

I went to set up a default route and noticed entries had been created for my VLANS.

vabulldog_2-1659106495996.png

Under VLAN membership port #47 is a tagged port under the default VLAN. What should that port be under the other VLANS? A T or  U?

vabulldog_3-1659106720021.png

Message 1 of 7
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@vabulldog,

Welcome to the community!

One way of accessing the VLANs you created is by untagging a port and setting its PVID with that VLAN, since the switch doesn't have a DHCP server, you'll have to set a static IP address on your computer.

What's the device connected to port 47? 

You may want to check these KB articles for your information:

https://kb.netgear.com/000048453/What-do-I-need-to-know-about-setting-up-VLANs

https://kb.netgear.com/24721/How-does-a-VLAN-work-on-a-smart-switch
https://kb.netgear.com/31026/How-to-configure-a-VLAN-on-a-NETGEAR-managed-switch

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
vabulldog
Aspirant

I think I'm with you. The switch is transparent when it comes to DHCP. So the IP range will need to come from the router? I have a sophisticated router at work. At home I have a simple Fios router that does not support VLANS. Port 47 is the laptop I am using. I do have a desktop nearby. If I set a static IP on one of those VLANS to my desktop I should be able to ping it from my laptop if it's on the same VLAN. I switched my laptop and I am able to ping the switch GUI at 90.1. That makes me think everything is working. What I am missing is the DHCP server functionality. When should I tag and untag ports? 

vabulldog_1-1659110017120.png

vabulldog_0-1659109959675.png

Message 3 of 7
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @vabulldog,

That is right, the IP range will come from the router.

Usually, you tag ports if they are connected to another switch or any device that recognizes 802.1Q tags where you want multiple VLANs to pass through it and then untag ports if these are end devices such as computers, printers, and such.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
vabulldog
Aspirant

I fired up my desktop and put it on port #47 on VLAN 90. I gave it a static IP address of 192.168.90.69 subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of 192.168.9.1. It can ping and access the switch GUI but I am getting a no internet access globe icon and cannot access the internet. 

Also, when I go to the default VLAN in VLAN membership and try to leave port #47 blank I get an error that says "Error! Management access will be lost on MGMT VLAN configuration" Is that basically telling me that if I remove access to that port from the default VLAN I won't be able to access the GUI? 

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Before people are going crazy here:

Does this router support the configuration of multiple networks, IP subnetworks, and DHCP for each, e.g. on a per port or VLAN level?

I fear this is where many first adventures end. Most consumer routers, ISP supplied end-user routers, and so on don't support this.

Last but not least: This GS752TPv2 isn't a managed switch model.

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

For the systems connecting to the switch, eg. on port 47, intended to work in a subnet different from 192.168.1.1/24, so e.g. on the VLAN 90 and 192.168.90.x addresses, you might want to 

• remove the [U]ntagged membership from VLAN 1
  • add a [U]ntagged membership for the VLAN 90, and define these ports for PVID 90

This will bring the system plugged to the correct VLAN on what is named sometimes as an access port. 

Next, for the normal subnet 192.168.1.x/24, you need to define a static route on your Internet router, adding a route to the 192.168.90.x/24 subnet pointing to the switch LAN IP. Otherwise, the routed traffic can't flow in both directions.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements