× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN GS724T v.4

shifflav
Aspirant

VLAN GS724T v.4

I need some help on VLANs.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I only want a very basic setup.  This was super easy to configure on my old GS724T v.1, but I can't get it to work right on the new GS724T v.4.

Here's what's currently plugged in:
Port 1: Staff computers
Port 3: Public computers
Port 5: Networked Printer
Port 24: Uplink from Router

My goal is to isolate the staff computers from the public, but allow the networked printer to be accessible on both VLANs.

My VLANs on my old v.1 switch were:
VLAN #1 - Ports 1, 5, 24
VLAN #2 - Ports 3, 5, 24

I did a similar setup on the new GS724 v.4.
On VLAN ID#1 (the default VLAN), I only have ports 1, 5, 24 selected (untagged)
On VLAN ID#4 (my new VLAN), I only have ports 3, 5, 24 selected (untagged)

However, I get no Internet connectivity on Port 3 on my new VLAN.  What am I doing wrong?  **A screenshot is attached

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: VLAN GS724T v.4

Did you had a config like Shared access to the Internet for multiple VLANs - No routing in place on the v1 switch?

Message 2 of 3
shifflav
Aspirant

Re: VLAN GS724T v.4

I think I figured it out.   I didn't realize that the default VLAN (#1) is not supposed to be messed with at all.  According to Netgear: "As it is the default VLAN, netgear does not recommend using VLAN 1 for anything other than switch administration."  ...It would have been nice to know that beforehand, or have some kind of warning.

I also found out that I needed to change the PVID (under Port PVID Configuration) for each physical port to use the newly created VLANs.  That will cause the VLANs to be isolated from each other.  Doing some ping tests confirmed they are isolating as intended.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements