× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN configuration issue

stevegebhard
Aspirant

VLAN configuration issue

I just recently added this switch to my network so that I may put my video camera system on a seperate VLAN in order to seperate that traffic from the main LAN.  I cannot get it to work.  I cannot see any packets on the VLAN interface at the router, dhcp requests do not go through.  Being that this is my first attempt at 802.1Q Vlans i probably missed something.  LAN traffic seems to be unaffected at this point.  Please see attached screenshots.  Router used is PfSense latest version, Switch and router rebooted after changes, no affect.

Model: JGSM7224|ProSAFE 24-port Gigabit Managed Switch
Message 1 of 6
stevegebhard
Aspirant

Re: VLAN configuration issue

second screenshot

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

As of now, from where do you expect to get DHCP requests on the security appliance?

Only port #1 seems to be participating in the VLAN 5 as tagged. 

For the cameras, assuming these are intended to run on a flat network, the ports must be configured to U (untagged) in the same VLAN.

Message 3 of 6
stevegebhard
Aspirant

DHCP should come from the VLAN interface as configured in PfSense.  Right now I only have one test port on the VLAN as I need to keep the cameras in production, port 1 is my test.  Yes, the cameras look for a flat network, but correct me if I'm wrong, if they are untagged on the VLAN the VLAN interface on the router will ignore it, as it won't have the VLAN header.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Port 1 is used for the PfSense trunk or for a camera port to test?

If it's for a camera, it must be VLAN ID 5 Untagged, PVID 5.
Message 5 of 6
stevegebhard
Aspirant

Thanks I'll try that

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements