× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Vlan versus radius

egonbar
Aspirant

Vlan versus radius

Hello

I want to configure this switch like this:

-when one worker connect its pc in one port of the switch, the switch validate the mac in a bbdd of autorized macs. If the mac it is okey, the switch put this port (where the worker is connected) in vlan1, if it is not a autorized mac, then the switch must configure/asign to this port the vlan 3.

How can i do it?

Can you send me a guide of how to do it?

Regards

Eduardo

Model: GSM7224v2|ProSafe 24 ports gigabit L2 managed switch
Message 1 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@egonbar,

From the scenario you have described, it seems that you want to configure Port Security.  

1. On the web-GUI, go to Security > Traffic Control > Port Security > Static MAC address.  Under Port List, select your desired port in the Interface Field.  Then, enter the corresponding MAC Address in the Static MAC Address field and select the corresponding VLAN ID.  Then, click Add.  

As reference, read page 15-5 of the GSM7224v2 Software Administration Manual Release 8.0 here.

2. Configure Port Security.  Read pages 15-2 to 15-3 of the GSM7224v2 Software Administration Manual Release 8.0 here

Let me share this old forum thread here. Although a different NETGEAR switch model was used in the old forum thread, it might still help as your guide. 

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
egonbar
Aspirant

Sorry for not explaying me better before.

I send you a draw.

The working procces must be:

1. we connect a pc to the network, for example, port 1 in the switch

2.the switch asked the ¿external or internal? macs bbdd if this pc mac is in the bbdd.

3.the switch now know if this pc mac is in the bbdd

4.the switch assign vlan untagged to this port 1. If pc mac is in bbdd, the switch assign a vlan id X to this port 1. If pc mas is not in bbdd, the switch assign another vlan id Y to this port 1.

I am not sure if mac bbdd... may be in the switch... or this is a external equipment. For us, it does not matter. External? 

How exactly to do it? How to configure it?

Thank you

Regards

Eduardo

Message 3 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@egonbar,

Is the MAC BBDD in your network diagram the RADIUS server?  If yes, kindly read the articles below and this might help you configure the GSM7224v2  switch:

Dynamic VLAN assignment using RADIUS

How do I assign VLANs using RADIUS on my managed switch using the web interface?

How do I assign VLANs using RADIUS on my managed switch using CLI commands?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA These examples are username/password based VLAN associations - not what the OP is looking for.

In continuation of these examples above. one might want to add a catch-all VLAN if a user resp. a system doesn't succeed with the username/password, so the system is put on a VLAN used for guest, for a staging environment, ...

Now the username/password authentication from the examples must be changed to pure MAC address check, e.g in a RADIUS. 

Message 5 of 6
egonbar
Aspirant

Yes! That it!! 

I am not looking for validate with user/password,... i am looking to validate via mac: So, if the mac (connected in one aleatory port of the switch) is okey/autorhired/is in the mac autorized bbdd--> vlan 1 to switch. If  the mac is not in the mac autorized bbdd--> switch assign vlan 10

(the number of vlan are examples).

So:

1.How must i configure the switch? like this?

https://kb.netgear.com/21807/How-do-I-assign-VLANs-using-RADIUS-on-my-managed-switch-using-the-web-i...

or this?

https://kb.netgear.com/21806/How-do-I-assign-VLANs-using-RADIUS-on-my-managed-switch-using-CLI-comma...

2.How exactly must i configure the radius?? Can you show me??

Thank you!

Regards

Eduardo

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements