× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Voice VLAN trinking M5300 to S3300 with Auto-VoIP

TedW
Aspirant

Voice VLAN trinking M5300 to S3300 with Auto-VoIP

I just finished getting my VLAN trunking and Auto-VoIP working to a new S3300 switch from a trunked port out of my M5300, but I had a quite a time getting it to work.

For the longest time, I could not get Auto-VoIP working on the S3300.  The other untagged VLAN's I have passed easily to the S3300, but the only way I could get and IP on my Polycom phone on VLAN 2 was to untag a port on the S3300.

I went back into the S3300 browser interface and reexamined the Auto-VoIP settings.  I noticed that I had both the Protocol-based and OUI-based port settings for Auto-VoIP enabled, so I decided to DISABLE the Protocol-based Auto-VoIP, leaving only the OUI-based port settings at ENABLE.  After I did this the Polycom phones started grabbing the 2 VLAN correctly and working!

My question is, what is Protocol-based Auto-VoIP used for?  I know that OUI-based puts the phone on the Voice VLAN based on their MAC address, but how does Protocol-based Auto-VoIP assign VLANS, and why did everything start working when I disabled the Protocol-based Auto-VoIP and only have the OUI-based Auto-VoIP enabled?

TedW 

Model: M5300-52G-PoE+ (GSM7252PSv1h2)|ProSAFE 48+4 L2+ PoE Stackable Managed Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Hopchen
Prodigy

Re: Voice VLAN trinking M5300 to S3300 with Auto-VoIP

Hey,

As you know, OUI based Auto-VoIP assigns devices to a VLAN based on the MAC address (in fact based on the OUI, not the entire MAC address).

Protocol based Auto-VoIP assigns devices to a VLAN based on the type of traffic they send. It would probably be something like "If the device is sending traffic to destination port 5060, then assign the device to VLAN x " (5060 is the common VoIP port).

You should not use both these at the same time, which could easily be why your config was not working 🙂

Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hey,

As you know, OUI based Auto-VoIP assigns devices to a VLAN based on the MAC address (in fact based on the OUI, not the entire MAC address).

Protocol based Auto-VoIP assigns devices to a VLAN based on the type of traffic they send. It would probably be something like "If the device is sending traffic to destination port 5060, then assign the device to VLAN x " (5060 is the common VoIP port).

You should not use both these at the same time, which could easily be why your config was not working 🙂

Cheers

Message 2 of 4
TedW
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the info!  This is exactly what I needed to know!  It's no wonder I've been having Auto-VoIP issues.

TedW

Message 3 of 4
Hopchen
Prodigy

No problem at all. Happy to help 🙂

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation