× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Warranty: When and why has Netgear changed its support practise?

msi
Luminary
Luminary

Warranty: When and why has Netgear changed its support practise?

Hi

The last time I had a hardware defect with an M4300 all I had to have in advance was that the switch was registered and that the original invoice was uploaded to the support portal per device. It' wasn't fun to do so but it was an easy and simple process.

However in late 2022 and now just recently I had (or currently still have) cases with M4300s involved that are already registered. Both times the support crew requested to provide proof of purchase _and_ a picture of the serial number of the switch in question with the ticket.

While I can understand the need for registration and providing proof of purchase at registration. - Providing this proof again + a picture of the serial number almost blocked cases since the device was remote and I had to on site to take a picture. Only then the engineer assigned to the case was able to proceed with the remplacement. (Some ports had become defective so it wasn't complete loss so most connections still worked)

In times where systems are remotely located, providing a picture isn't always that feasible. Especially in crammed racks, taking pictures of a label can be almost impossible. Can Netgear comment on why this was done? I can't always send out remote hands to first take a picture in order for cases to proceed (sometimes it actually barely feasible to take a picture fo the serial number in a crammed rack). Apparently uploading the proof of purchase during registration isn't sufficient anymore?

The consequence has been that we have changed our internal procedures so whenever a switch gets unpacked or installed we take a picture of its serial number and store alongside a PDF (per switch) so that we have quick access to that data when need arises.

Message 1 of 2
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Warranty: When and why has Netgear changed its support practise?

@msi,

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.  Though I am not a part of the NETGEAR Support Team, I believe the main reason for requesting both the Proof of Purchase and picture of the serial number of the device is to avoid fraud.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements