× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where are the new Multigig switches? Its 2020 not 1980 already?

Neilio
Aspirant

Where are the new Multigig switches? Its 2020 not 1980 already?

With advancements in chip controller technology in the past few years, its really mind boggling that Net Gear doesn’t offer more switch options especially in their Insight Series & Business Class.  I mean there is vendors that have been selling Multigig switches with full on management since 2017, with full 8 ports or more all multigig, unlike Netgear MS510TX, with 4 ports 1gb, 2 ports 10gb SFP+ combo and another 4 are 2.5gb, 5gb, useless if you ask me.  I do have the GS110EMX but that’s limited to 2, 10gb Ports. There is no reason why that switch couldn’t have been 8 multigig port up to 5gb or 2.5gb and still have the 2 full 10gb multigig ports. I did try the MS510TX but sent it back because of the lousy combo ports. Don’t get me wrong it was a very nice switch but not suited for my needs. I would like to pick up the XS512Em but not part of the Managed pro series.  Why can’t NetGear just make a full on managed 8 port Multigig switch in the Pro series or in their Insight series?  The technology is there and has been for a few years now.

I think their business class switches do appeal to loads of Home users as well as SMB that don’t necessary need 12, 24 or 48 ports.  It always appears to be some kind of wonky switch configuration they put out all the time.

Model: XS512EM|12 Port 10-Gigabit/Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports
Message 1 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Re: Where are the new Multigig switches? Its 2020 not 1980 already?

Multigig does not imply ports are 1G/2.5G/5G .... 2.5G is Multigig, 5G is Multigig and able to run over existing older standard cabling.

Netgear has Multigig switches, granted intended on some purpose, .... like the M4200-10MG-PoE+, the M4300-16X, the big M4300-96X with it's MultiGig modules as per your dream, MS510TX/MS510TXP, the configureable XS724EM/XS512EM and on the non-managed end the XS505M/XS508M.

@Neilio wrote:

I mean there is vendors that have been selling Multigig switches with full on management since 2017, with full 8 ports or more all multigig, unlike Netgear MS510TX, with 4 ports 1gb, 2 ports 10gb SFP+ combo and another 4 are 2.5gb, 5gb, useless if you ask me. .

Disputable. Business notebeook vendors do hard to bring MultiGig 2.5G (no 5G), many wireless access points are still on 2.5G (hard to bring more over the air anyway), some NAS vendors have jumped on the MultiGig train offering consumer NAS with 2.5G, some with MultiGig (not many 5G - because 10G made this market much earlier). Wonder what device split you have that the MS510TX/MS510TXP can't cover.

@Neilio wrote:

I did try the MS510TX but sent it back because of the lousy combo ports.

MS510TX/MS510TXP don't have combo ports - both 10G ports are real, one copper, one SFP+.

@Neilio wrote:

I do have the GS110EMX but that’s limited to 2, 10gb Ports. There is no reason why that switch couldn’t have been 8 multigig port up to 5gb or 2.5gb and still have the 2 full 10gb multigig ports. 

Would love to see a fanless "GS110EMX" as a Smart Managed Pro (T), with 2.5G (and 5G - but see above) version with two MultiGig/10G ports, too. Oh yeah and an SFP+ variant instead of the two MultiGig/10G ports please Netgear.

@Neilio wrote:

Why can’t NetGear just make a full on managed 8 port Multigig switch in the Pro series or in their Insight series?  The technology is there and has been for a few years now.

Still, we don't talk Managed here - more Smart Managed Pro (with optional cloud management).

Promised: The next MS510 model line members are waiting behind the door - they will have what you like to have. Should not take long.

Message 2 of 13
Neilio
Aspirant

All good responses!  I'm sure hoping somehting is comming  🙂

Message 3 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@Neilio As Netgear's resellers are leaking the information already, there is no more reason to hold this back:

MS510TXUP 8-Port Multi-Gigabit/10G Ethernet Ultra60 PoE++ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports

Availability Central Europe: MS510TXUP-100EUS 08-JAN-2021

MS510TXM 8-Port Multi-Gigabit/10G Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports

Availability Central Europe: MS510TXM-100EUS 15-JAN-2021

Both models can be locally Web managed, different from the earlier family member Netgear Insight management is possible, too.

Message 4 of 13
Neilio
Aspirant

This is fantastic,  i'm happy i held off.   Thanks for the info my friend!

Message 5 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Well informed resource @Iphie_C informed me these minutes that these models won't be announced and probably not becoming available as per the information sent out to the distribution channel. Pity.

Message 6 of 13
Neilio
Aspirant

Pity is right, so what is comming,  another bird of pray router.  Sigh. 

Message 7 of 13
Iphie_C
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Neilio 

Thanks for the feedback and inquiries about our products. 

The market demand for an all-port Multigig switches with Remote/Cloud management is well aware of NETGEAR. There will be two new Smart Managed Pro Multigig/10G switch models with the exact features you want, non-PoE and PoE, come to the market by early January 2021. They will be good options for the latest NETGEAR WiFi 6 Access Points WAX610/WAX610Y. Please stay tunned for the new switches.

Iphie

Message 8 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Thank you @Iphie_C - so early January is back. Cool!

Message 9 of 13
Neilio
Aspirant

You guys are killing me!  On again off again.  LOL.  

Message 10 of 13
Neilio
Aspirant

I've been trying to get my hands on the WAX610,  No luck  all has to do where i live i guess.  BOOO!

Message 11 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@Neilio wrote:

I've been trying to get my hands on the WAX610, 

These are short everywhere ..

What features do you need from the WiFi 6 AP? Netgear seems to come up with new standalone "essential-kind*" WAX models (several retailers are already shipping these as of writing!).  *From the Data Sheet showing as 214 AX1800 and 218 AX3200 variants, as expected without Insight support, PoE resp. PoE+, GbE only, no indications of multiple SSID (like the WAX204!) and/or VLAN support, no indication of supporting seamless roaming.

Google is your friend - and I will certainly get a nasty emails from the CIA again. 

The best one you will find is "If in doubt please search on manufacturer website using Product Model WAX218-100EUS..." ROFL Netgear - do not make your unpaid and manufacturer unsupported community members responsible for what ever.

Have some WAX610 out there with a new customer installation (can't get any here these days here in Switzerland, too - on backorder, delivery date unknown) - nice but not inexpensive. The WAX610 (2x2:2 AX1800) will become interesting for replacing mass deployments of WAC505 once a future WAX6xx (4x4:4 AC3200 AP) will become available for the network hot spots currently served by WAC540 - and when Netgear manages to manufacture and sell volume packets of WAX610 (like the WAC505) at a much more attractive price. Until then, I'm rather happy with the WAC540/WAC505 Insight configs. Currently it appears to be gold digger times for WiFi 6 access points.

Message 12 of 13
Neilio
Aspirant

Just looking at the specs for this (MS510TXM 8-Port Multi-Gigabit/10G Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP+ Ports)

The NETGEAR® MS510TXM 8-Port Multi-Gigabit/10G Smart Managed Pro Switch offers 4 ports 1G/2.5G and 4 ports multi-Gig/10G with 2 dedicated 10 Gigabit fiber ports

Unbelievable that Netgear has decided to configure it like this!   Why not go full out 8 port multi-Gig/10G?  

Another fail by Netgear!  

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements