× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where can I find more information about LAG options?

alpha754293
Aspirant

Where can I find more information about LAG options?

Hi there. 

I'm new here.  I have a GSM7248 v2h1 48-port L2 managed gigabit ethernet switch and in regards to link aggregation groups (LAG), in the manual for the 7000-series managed switches, on the screenshot that shows how to create a LAG using the web interface, it also talks about Link Trap, Admin Mode, STP Mode, Static Mode, Hashing Algorithm, etc.

Where might I be able to find additional resources so that I can learn more about what each of those options mean and how it might impact an aggregated link performance?

I'm not a network development engineer or anything remotely close to that, but if other community/forum members can point or refer me to some additional resources that can explain what each of those things are, I would definitely like to learn more about it.

(e.g. What is a link trap? What does "Admin Mode" mean? What's STP mode? What happens if you enable it? What happens if you disable it? etc.)

Thank you.

Model: GSM7248v2|ProSafe 48 ports gigabit L2 managed switch
Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Where can I find more information about LAG options?

@alpha754293,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

We do have a lot of articles for setting up our switches. I have provided some below:

- What are Link Aggregation Groups (LAGs) and how do they work with my managed switch?

What is SpanningTree Protocol (STP) and how does it work with my managed switch?

How to Configure LAG

- Admin mode is to enable/disable the port.

I hope it helps 🙂

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
alpha754293
Aspirant

@JohnC_V wrote:

@alpha754293,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

We do have a lot of articles for setting up our switches. I have provided some below:

- What are Link Aggregation Groups (LAGs) and how do they work with my managed switch?

What is SpanningTree Protocol (STP) and how does it work with my managed switch?

How to Configure LAG

- Admin mode is to enable/disable the port.

I hope it helps 🙂

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Thank you for your reply. That's useful (in explaining or pointing me to look up, on Wikipedia, what STP is and what it does). I'm not sure if it is used by default, (when neither LAGs nor VLANs are present), but I have to start the journey of learning somewhere.

What about link traps? What are they and/or where can I find more information about that?

Is static mode the way to PREVENT dynamic link aggregation (LACP)?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@alpha754293,

STP is preventing loops in your network that results to a broadcast storm. If Link Traps is enabled then a trap will be sent if the LAG link state changes. LAG/LACP will only depend if the device that will be connected either supports LAG/LACP. It is just that LAG is static configuration while LACP is dynamic.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements