× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which Netgear switch should I buy to get mDNS and IGMPv3 functionalities

Newbie_x
Aspirant

Which Netgear switch should I buy to get mDNS and IGMPv3 functionalities

Hi Netgear Community

I have simple question. For newly installed solution we need to buy rack mounted switch with mDNS and IGMPv3 functionalities.

16 ethernet ports are enough but can be also bigger if there is no other alternative.

Could you please advise about model or models to choose from? Thank you in advance.

Currently we have Netgear GS716T v2 but it doesn't meet requirements listed above.

Location: Europe (just in case if some models aren't available here).

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Newbie_x 

Thank you for your question and happy to  help.

For full mDNS support (across VLANs, across switches, etc.) and full IGMPv3 (including our IGMP Plus automating it across switches), you should stay with either the new M4250 series or the M4300 series.

M4250 has a new 12x2.5G + 2x10G SFP+ model called M4250-12M2XF (MSM4214X-100EUS is the ordering SKU number in Europe) that you may consider.

M4300 has a perfect 24x1G + 2x10GBASE-T + 2x10G SFP+ model called M4300-28G (GSM4328S-100NES ordering SKU number in Europe) that you may consider too.

With either of these two models, mDNS Bonjour is guaranteed to work out of the box for seamless mDNS across VLANs, across switches, and with NDI audio-video etc. Same with IGMPv3, default VLAN 1 configuration is pre-configured with IGMP Plus, and you can replicate the VLAN 1 IGMP VLAN configuration (Snopping, Querier, etc.) on any other VLAN. This will work across switches (M4250/M4300 series) automatically as well.

Let us know of any other questions...

I hope this helps,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Newbie_x 

Thank you for your question and happy to  help.

For full mDNS support (across VLANs, across switches, etc.) and full IGMPv3 (including our IGMP Plus automating it across switches), you should stay with either the new M4250 series or the M4300 series.

M4250 has a new 12x2.5G + 2x10G SFP+ model called M4250-12M2XF (MSM4214X-100EUS is the ordering SKU number in Europe) that you may consider.

M4300 has a perfect 24x1G + 2x10GBASE-T + 2x10G SFP+ model called M4300-28G (GSM4328S-100NES ordering SKU number in Europe) that you may consider too.

With either of these two models, mDNS Bonjour is guaranteed to work out of the box for seamless mDNS across VLANs, across switches, and with NDI audio-video etc. Same with IGMPv3, default VLAN 1 configuration is pre-configured with IGMP Plus, and you can replicate the VLAN 1 IGMP VLAN configuration (Snopping, Querier, etc.) on any other VLAN. This will work across switches (M4250/M4300 series) automatically as well.

Let us know of any other questions...

I hope this helps,

Message 2 of 3
Newbie_x
Aspirant

Dear Laurent

Thank you for quick and detailed response. Topic is now clear.

Have a good day.

thanks

Karol

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements