× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Whitelist MAC-Addresses on GS724T

ProjectEdu
Aspirant

Whitelist MAC-Addresses on GS724T

Hello,

how should I configure the GS724Tv4 Switch, to just allow certain devices the communication?

I need this for a school project, my idea was to just allow certain Mac-Addresses, so devices that just connect to the switch arent able to communicate with other devices connected to the switch. 

Is there a option to whitelist certain MAC-Addresses? I tried a few methods I found while researching but they didnt work out as expected.

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Whitelist MAC-Addresses on GS724T

Hi @ProjectEdu,

Yes, you're right. You could whitelist certain MAC addresses on a particular port and limit it to a certain number depending on your preference but it'll take a while to configure it.

An easier way is to use MAC ACL (not sure if you tried this as well) which is used to permit or deny access to the network, please check this guide on how to configure it.

As for the devices that should not communicate with each other even though they're connected to the same switch, you'll need to configure a VLAN (you may refer here in this KB article).

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ProjectEdu,

Welcome to the community! 

You could use Port Security in this case. Please refer to page 203 of the user manual here for more information.

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
ProjectEdu
Aspirant

Hi, thank for the response!

But how should I configure that, as far as I understood Port Security is for limiting MACs learned by the Ports.

Message 3 of 5
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ProjectEdu,

Yes, you're right. You could whitelist certain MAC addresses on a particular port and limit it to a certain number depending on your preference but it'll take a while to configure it.

An easier way is to use MAC ACL (not sure if you tried this as well) which is used to permit or deny access to the network, please check this guide on how to configure it.

As for the devices that should not communicate with each other even though they're connected to the same switch, you'll need to configure a VLAN (you may refer here in this KB article).

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
ProjectEdu
Aspirant

Hello, @JeraldM 

ACL Filter worked, just had to put in the MAC Mask as well as the MAC-Addressa and then it worked perfectly fine. Thank you 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements