× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XCM89P Daughter Card versus XCM89UP Daughter Card?

RobLigt
Aspirant

XCM89P Daughter Card versus XCM89UP Daughter Card?

Hi,

I wonder what the differences are between the "XCM89P Daughter Card" and the "XCM89UP Daughter Card" ?

Both are add-ons for PoE (802.3af) and PoE+ (802.3at) functionality to XCM8948 or XCM8944 blades, except the XMCM89UP also adds UPOE as I understand it?

Back in the days I learned that UPOE was a standard (up to max 60w) by a different vendor that was proprietary? (across 4 pairs versus 2 pairs with POE+)

(and UPOE is only usable when you also have such switches from that different vendor)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
RobLigt
Aspirant

Thanks @schumaku, much appreciated!

I have only a few of the XCM89UP cards and quite a few XCM89P's and not the "other brand" in use, so now I know which I can best repurpose.

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

UPOE was a proprietary extension to PoE (802.3af) and PoE+ (802.3at) allowing to provide higher power rates to PoE PD supporting UPOE.This is what was additional on the XCM89UP card.

The usage of four pairs is required because the loss on two pairs is to high, the requirement applies to the standards conpliant PoE++ 802.3bt allowing 60 and 90 W.
Message 2 of 3
RobLigt
Aspirant

Thanks @schumaku, much appreciated!

I have only a few of the XCM89UP cards and quite a few XCM89P's and not the "other brand" in use, so now I know which I can best repurpose.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements