× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS716T, see attached devices

tantony
Luminary

XS716T, see attached devices

I have a XS716T switch.  I know the IP address of this switch, and I'm logged in.  I have an access point connected to this switch, but I don't know what the IP is.  How can I find the IP of the access point?

There's a factory reset button for the access point, but I don't want to reset it yet.

Model: GSM7328SO|Opensource 24-port Managed Switch|EOL
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: XS716T, see attached devices

@tantony wrote:

It's a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro

Not much you can do - even of you have the IP address. These are strictly controller managed devices, either bound to a local controller, or to a cloud controller. Ubiquity does provide some discovery tools and Apps. But then, you still won't be able access that AP easily.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
tantony
Luminary

I can see the AP's MAC address on the address table on the switch, but no ip info.  Is there a way to ping a MAC to get IP?

Message 2 of 14
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Install an IP scanner to detects IP address and MAC address. The XS716T switch detects the Learned MAC address only.

Message 3 of 14
tantony
Luminary

ok, which range do I scan?

0.0.0.0. - 255.255.255.255?

Message 4 of 14
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Check the IP range of your router. 

Example: starting IP: 192.198.1.2 and ending IP: 192.168.1.254 

Message 5 of 14
schumaku
Guru

The XS716T is a L2 switch, so not much need for L3 information..

From a Linux system ping to the broadcast address, like 192.168.1.255 - one of the answering ones might be the AP.

Message 6 of 14
tantony
Luminary

I know the default IP is 192.168.1.20.  I have my laptop with a default IP of 192.168.1.10.  I used IP Scanner to scan between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255, but it's only finding the laptop IP.

This is a used access point, so it might not be in the default IP.  That's what I'm having issue with.

Message 7 of 14
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

What is the brand and model number of the AP? 

Message 8 of 14
tantony
Luminary

https://store.ubnt.com/products/unifi-ac-pro

Message 9 of 14
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Perform factory reset to clear the Static IP address assigned to the AP. The IP settings will revert back to DHCP enabled. 

Press and hold it for more then five seconds, it will restore the device to the factory default settings.

Once you reset the AP, Connect the AP to any LAN port of the switch and scan the IP scanner and check the list. 

Message 10 of 14
tantony
Luminary

That's the problem.  I don't want to factory reset yet.  I need to see the current config on it.  

Message 11 of 14
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

If the Static IP address is within same IP range of the network, you can still retrieve the IP address.

• Check also the ARP entry if you can see the MAC address of the access point. Command: arp -a
  • Check the default IP address of the access point and see if you can access it.

If not, there is no way to retrieve the IP address. 

Message 12 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@tantony wrote:

Not much you can do - even of you have the IP address. These are strictly controller managed devices, either bound to a local controller, or to a cloud controller. Ubiquity does provide some discovery tools and Apps. But then, you still won't be able access that AP easily.

Message 13 of 14
tantony
Luminary

I contacted UniFi, and they told me to reset.  

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements