× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XSM7224S-Fully hung, not in production

itaadmin
Aspirant

XSM7224S-Fully hung, not in production

Hi!

We have just gone all in on 4 x XSM7224S as ToR switches.
Today I've done a bit of initial setup on 2 of the units, with the intent on check and testing stacking on them.

I'd done some changes, new fixed IP, added som SNTP, DNS, and changed access to SSH, and HTTPS only.

I tested console access to see that it worked as I hoped. It did.

I hooked it up in our test room and connected it to a management network, I also connected a second XSM7224S to this unit (unit 1) on port 24 ethernet.
Nothing else apart from this.
After that they got to idle a while unit 1 and unit 2.

When I was going to continue my testing I could not access Unit 1, Unit 2 was still responisive even though Unit 1 is in between. I went in to the test room, to see if anything was weird... nope... no weirdness. I went to get a laptop, hooked up and rj45 and tested from my laptop... nope nothing, the port lit up though... test serial, serial seemed dead, test on unit 2, serial works, back to unit 1, serial dead... hmm ok even serial is dead.

I tried pinging unit 1 from unit 2, nope no response...
I reconnected one ethernet cable, hmmm ok now unit one does not pass traffic either...
Reconnect serial to unit 2, all seems fine here...

The switch - unit 1 - seems very badly hung, my question is, has anyone had the same kind of issues with this series? Regarding hanging, dead management interfaces etc...

Also is their anyway to force dump whats going on in the switch to USB on the USB interface?

When I restart will I be able to see what went nuts in the logs? Is there any debug info anywhere after a hard reboot?

Well this is my first foray into NetGear enterprise switches, they seem ok so far, apart from this.

I did my first tryout with trying to get ahold of Enterprise support and it was very difficult. I still do not know how to get to them properly, I was bounced around various phone systems from 30 mins, I eventually got to someone who would help me get in touch with the right support team, but I now had do go home since it was getting late, but have a case number and will get back to them I can get the right number tomorrow.

So far I have nothing to comment apart from that it's horribly hard to find the right info to get to the right support.

Any comments anyone?

Cheers!

/Dave

Message 1 of 6
adit
Mentor

Did you upgrade the firwmare on them? http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/XSM7224S
Message 2 of 6
itaadmin
Aspirant

Hi Adit!

Thanks for your reply!
They came with latest firmware installed. Latest firmware is from 2nd March, 2012. Seems a bit old, generally I see firmware updates that are GA every 6 months.. (from Juniper, Cisco etc).

Apart from the firmware there is not much else I can do.

I have a case number, and will have to call them up since no one called or emailed me regarding the case.

Switch info:
Product Name XSM7224S - 24-Port 10G SFP+ Layer 2 Stackable Managed Switch with four 10G combo ports

Firmware Version 9.0.1.21
Boot Version 10
CPLD Version 0x3
Serial Number 2ER3265KF0091
Power Module 1 Operational
Power Module 2 Not Present

Cheers!

/Dave
Message 3 of 6
LapGear1
Aspirant

Hello, Dave
I am sorry no one call you back.
I will get someone to contact you right away.
Regards,
Lap
Message 4 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

itaadmin wrote:

Firmware Version 9.0.1.21
Boot Version 10
CPLD Version 0x3
Serial Number 2ER3265KF0091
Power Module 1 Operational
Power Module 2 Not Present

Cheers!

/Dave

Do not post serial on public forum. 🙂
Message 5 of 6
itaadmin
Aspirant

Ooops sorry my bad!
Doesn't seem like I can remove my own posts!
Any Moderator may do so if they want to.
/Dave
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements