× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: jgs524ev2 firmware upgrade

pielab
Aspirant

jgs524ev2 firmware upgrade

I have an old JGS524v2 that I would like to upgrade the firmware for.  I got the ProSafe Plus Switch Utility installed on a laptop and it has a wired connection to the switch.  I downloaded the last version of the firmware.  In the Utility, I went to Maintenance -> Firmware Upgrade and put in the path to the firmware file.  When I run the firmware upgrade, I get a message "Timeout.  no response from agent".  Is there a way around this?

TIA!

Model: JGS524Ev2|ProSafe Plus 24 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @pielab

Were you able to access the admin page of the switch by typing its IP address?

If so, you can upgrade the firmware that way by going to System > Maintenance > Firmware Update.

But if there's no IP address showing in Utility or the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Tool (which can be downloaded here), please do the following:

1. Disconnect the switch from the existing network.

2. Press the Factory Defaults button of the switch for about 2-3 seconds.

3. Connect a computer directly to any Ethernet port of the switch.

4. Set a static IP address on the computer that is within the network 192.168.0.0/24 (like 192.168.0.100)

5. Open command prompt and try pinging the default IP address of the switch which is 192.168.0.239.

6. Check if you're able to access the admin page of the switch by typing its default IP address.  

Please let us know if you're still encountering any issues.

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @pielab

Were you able to access the admin page of the switch by typing its IP address?

If so, you can upgrade the firmware that way by going to System > Maintenance > Firmware Update.

But if there's no IP address showing in Utility or the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Tool (which can be downloaded here), please do the following:

1. Disconnect the switch from the existing network.

2. Press the Factory Defaults button of the switch for about 2-3 seconds.

3. Connect a computer directly to any Ethernet port of the switch.

4. Set a static IP address on the computer that is within the network 192.168.0.0/24 (like 192.168.0.100)

5. Open command prompt and try pinging the default IP address of the switch which is 192.168.0.239.

6. Check if you're able to access the admin page of the switch by typing its default IP address.  

Please let us know if you're still encountering any issues.

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
pielab
Aspirant

Thanks for this.  I don't know why I didn't try to connect via the browser.  Dumb mistake.  Can I ask another question?  For this switch, I see it only supports Static LAG.  How would I setup a Microsoft Team using two ports?  I see from the NetGear doc how to do it on the switch side.  System -> LAG -> LAG Membership, select ports.  Then, System -> LAG -> LAG Configuration, select the ID of the LAG which I just setup and set the Admin Mode to Enable.  But what are the settings on the Microsoft side?  Would the Teaming mode be Static Teaming and the Load balancing mode be Dynamic (or Address hash)?  Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @pielab!

That is right. Given that the switch only supports static LAG, the teaming mode should be Static Teaming and its load balancing mode is either address hash or dynamic.

Regards, 

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
pielab
Aspirant

Thank you so much!  You have been very helpful.  Much appreciated!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements