× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

m4100-12gf non-java device view not working

jhendrickson
Aspirant

m4100-12gf non-java device view not working

After configuring a new M4100-12GF and updaing firmware, I set 

Security > Access > HTTP Configuration > Java Mode = Disabled

I performed a hard page refresh (hold Shift + click reload button on browser)

Slecting System > Device View shows oragen blank screen in iFrame.

I have no browser that will run Java and I will not be installing it. 

Java isn't an option anymore, and should have been removed from all of your products long before this product went into production.  Its like NETGEAR didnt believe that Java was actually going to be forced into obselecence even after its thousands of exploites were identified.

firmware, Boot version: 10.0.2.31, B1.0.1.1

Heres the iFrame code:

<iframe frameborder="no" width="100%" height="100%" src="" id="maincontent" name="maincontent">

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<LINK REL=stylesheet HREF="/base/style.css" TYPE="text/css">
<html>
<head>
<title>EmWeb/Server</title>
</head>
<body CLASS="bodyframeattributes">
<CENTER>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

</CENTER>
</body>
</html>

</iframe>

How do we make this usable again?

Model: GSM7212F|M4100-12GF-ProSAFE Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: m4100-12gf non-java device view not working

Web page embedded Java applets were state of the art when the M4100 switch model line was specified and introduced about 10 years ago.

Have no M4100 accessible right now, does the control to disable Java imply that the Java applet based device view is replaced by a HTML5 based Web view - or if it does just stop loading the Java applet to reduce a possible attack vector (or error messages)?

For a switch model line still sold new in 2019 I would expect that Netgear to make a firmware with a Java-less device view, similar to many other newer Web managed switches. @LaurentMa please.

Message 2 of 3
jhendrickson
Aspirant

Re: m4100-12gf non-java device view not working

I guess I made the assumption that disabling the java device view would activate the HTML5 interface; It never even occured to me that it would simply disable a chunk of it.  

I will admit that I was irrationally angry when I type the original post in this thread.  I'd been working on this switch for about 3 hours and it was very late on a  sunday night (that i did not intend to be working through).  

That said, I still believe that an alternate interface is aproriate when disabling a chunk of the control system.  I guess hteres always conole though.  It just irks me as I have to document new access procedures now for anyone that takes up my mantle after me, instead of just adding another to the list of consistnely operated devices.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements