× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: need to connect GSM7248V2 and a GS728TPP switch with a SFP CABLE

vortexqc
Aspirant

need to connect GSM7248V2 and a GS728TPP switch with a SFP CABLE

what product number should i ordered to NETGEAR to connect those 2 switch with a SFP or SFP+ Cable to link them up

i need those 24 port on the GS728TPP for ip phone so i must use a fiber cable to connect it to the network and i don't find the product i should order to do that.

Thank to help me.

Model: GS728TPP|ProSafe 24 ports PoE Smart switch with 24 POE+ ports, GSM7248v2|ProSafe 48 ports gigabit L2 managed switch
Message 1 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@vortexqc,

The SFP modules that are compatible to both GSM7248V2 and a GS728TPP are the AGM731F and AGM732F.  As reference, kindly check the last page of their respective data sheets below:

GSM7248v2 Data Sheet

GS728TPP Data Sheet

Kindly check below for more information about the AGM731F and AGM732F:

AGM731F & AGM732F.jpg

If ever your concern has been addressed or  resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
vortexqc
Aspirant

ok so the AGM731F will do the job the 2 switch a on the same rack, and for the fiber cable who goes in this adaptor

is there a netgear product number for this cable ? i only need 6 feet or less

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

As both end SFP are plain SFP (no SFP+ on one end), you might have the possibility to deploy a simple an inexpensive SFP-DAC, like an AXC761 (1 m / three feet) or AXC763 (3 m/ ten feet).

Can @DaneA  validate this for thee two switch models/model lines please?

Message 4 of 10
vortexqc
Aspirant

AGM731F is SFP+ tranceiver but in the documentation those 2 unit are only SFP will it work with SFP+ tranceiver ?

Message 5 of 10
vortexqc
Aspirant

AXC761 is SFP+ will it work ? the 2 switch are SFP not SFP+

Message 6 of 10
schumaku
Guru

AGM731F is the NETGEAR ProSAFE 1000BASE-SX SFP GBIC Module - not requiring an SFP+ garage.

@vortexqc wrote:

AXC761 is SFP+ will it work ? the 2 switch are SFP not SFP+

AXC761 is like all shorter ones a passive DAC cable, which in general works to connect two SFP+ ports (as a 10G link) or two SFP ports (as a 1G link). Very often, a DAC works for for SFP+ to SFP connections (obvious again as a 1G link), too. I've challenged @DaneA  because the DAC is not on the compatibility list officially for these switches (the DAC were introduced later than the compatibility lists were published!) - we know that the Smart Managed Plus and Smart Managed Pro don't enforce exact vendor and models (e.g. XS7xxT [SFP+] <-> GSxxx or GCxxx [SFP] are working nicely - but the Netgear Managed switches might be different. Probably @LaurentMa might shed some light here again, merci!

Message 7 of 10
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

No, a 10G SFP+ DAC cable will NOT work when inserted into an 1G SFP port, it won't be recognized and there is no way to establish a link at 1Gbps using it.

Either the 1G SFP ports on both of your switches receive a 1G SFP transceiver such as our AGM731F, or a MSA-compliant 1G DAC cable. I don't think this is common, and you might have trouble finding any. I would rather insert a 1000BASE-T RJ45 SFP transceiver such as our AGM734 in both switches' SFP port, and use CAT5E or better cable between the two. 

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@LaurentMa wrote:

No, a 10G SFP+ DAC cable will NOT work when inserted into an 1G SFP port, it won't be recognized and there is no way to establish a link at 1Gbps using it.

Edit: Ignore m previous text, of course you are correct!

@LaurentMa wrote:

I would rather insert a 1000BASE-T RJ45 SFP transceiver such as our AGM734 in both switches' SFP port, and use CAT5E or better cable between the two. 

Yes, for the 1G range the AGM734 are an affordable alternative to short range Multimode fiber modules, indeed.

Message 9 of 10
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hello, my response is valid for any switch equipped with 1G SFP ports - the 10G SFP+ modules (fiber transceivers) or DAC (cables) can't be recognized by the 1000BASE-X SFP PHY or port, no link possible.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements