× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear gs728tp vlan 1 not create by user

markii_0204
Aspirant

netgear gs728tp vlan 1 not create by user

hello i want to create new vlan on netgear gs728tp but i cant untag or tag vlan 1 says "vlan 1 not create by user" , but i have a switch netgear gs724tp i can configure the vlan 1. so i try to set vlan 10 as substitute to vlan 1 so i can untag all port. 

my set up is

port 1-18 vlan 5 PVID is 5 all untag

port 19-23 vlan 20 PVID is 20 all Untag 

port 24 VLAN 10 pvid 10 "Untagged all port" is connected on the modem ISP

i want to do vlan 5 admin - with internet access 

vlan 20 internal - with internet access also

but when i plug my internet cable to port 24 

cannot get DHCP address or internet access

please help

thanks

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: netgear gs728tp vlan 1 not create by user

Unclear which exact Netgear switch model (including version, firmware version in place) you are using.

Ref. the "vlan 1 not create by user": Some very old switches might have had some limitations fo the VLAN 1, on some newer switches there was an oddity: If somebody put up a PVID to a port which was not member of a (or any) VLAN, this error poped up.

@markii_0204 wrote:

port 1-18 vlan 5 PVID is 5 all untag

port 19-23 vlan 20 PVID is 20 all Untag 

port 24 VLAN 10 pvid 10 "Untagged all port" is connected on the modem ISP

i want to do vlan 5 admin - with internet access 

vlan 20 internal - with internet access also

What you have configured are three individual networks, each in it's own broadcast domain, unable to talk to each other. This is what 802.1q VLANs are made for.

Do you expect the switch doing proably many2one NAT, routing for the three networks, and DHCP for the VLANs 5 and 20?

Message 2 of 5
markii_0204
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

This is the exact model of my switch : GS728TP — 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (16 PoE, 8 PoE+) (192W)

Firmware Version 6.0.1.29

I want to achieve is to have internet access on both vlan i will create. eg vlan 20 and vlan 5 both have access to internet

but my problem is i cant untag the vlan 1 were the internet is connected. i have a GS724tv3 FW 5.4.2.18 , the configuration is like this.

THIS CONFIGURATION IS WORKING ON "GS724tv3 FW 5.4.2.18"

PVID    PORT    VLAN1    VLAN5    VLAN20         REMARKS

5          1             U             U                                   CAN ACCESS INTERNET

5          2             U             U                                   CAN ACCESS INTERNET

5          -              U             U                                   CAN ACCESS INTERNET

5          -              U             U                                   CAN ACCESS INTERNET

20       19            U                            U                    CAN ACCESS INTERNET

20       20            U                            U                    CAN ACCESS INTERNET

20       21            U                            U                    CAN ACCESS INTERNET

20       22            U                            U                    CAN ACCESS INTERNET

20       23            U                            U                    CAN ACCESS INTERNET

1        24            U              U           U                    ISP "INTERNET"

IF i do this configuration obove on the GS724tv3 FW 5.4.2.18 Firmware Version 6.0.1.29

no internet on all port . this is the config if i do the same .

PVID    PORT    VLAN1    VLAN5    VLAN20         REMARKS

5          1                           U                                   NO ACCESS INTERNET

5          2                           U                                   NO ACCESS INTERNET

5          -                            U                                   NO ACCESS INTERNET

5          -                            U                                   NO ACCESS INTERNET

20       19                                          U                   NO ACCESS INTERNET

20       20                                          U                   NO ACCESS INTERNET

20       21                                          U                   NO ACCESS INTERNET

20       22                                          U                   NO ACCESS INTERNET

20       23                                          U                   NO ACCESS INTERNET

1        24            U                                                 ISP "INTERNET"

i cant configure the vlan 1 always saying " vlan 1 was not created by user"

Please Help thanks in advance. 

@schumaku 

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

That much from my side: Multiple [U]ntagged VLAN on the same port is not an appropriate clean 802.1q configuration where each VLAN is it's own dedicated broadcast domain - what this configuration does is so called asymmetrical VLAN config, the support is optional, on truns it's an optional extension protocol. Why ever, all (?) Netgear swiches seem to allow this config in the Web UI, but not all switches are working it accordingly.

I'm trying to talk to Netgear on this subject but no success @YeZ - still no communication with the Smart Managed Pro/Plus PLMs and engineering ....

Message 4 of 5
markii_0204
Aspirant

any updates ?

is someone can help me to set vlan on this model that can both vlan have internet access?

1 trunk port to ISP modem then 2 vlan with internet access.

thanks 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements