× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: pre-sales support?

frevi
Aspirant

pre-sales support?

Where can I get some technical questions answered to help me choose which exact models of switches to order for my client?

I've spent a good deal of time wading through the web site here, and the various offerings in the Layer 2 & Layer 3 switches are not clear enough for me to meaningfully compare, plus the models shown on the web site don't exactly match the ones shown by my distributors and IT reseller sites.

I'd like to talk with someone who knows the full range of fully managed, Smart Pro, and Smart Managed Pro lines really well, including what the currently available models are and their detailed functionality.

Is that possible?

thx

Model: GSM4352PA|M4300-52G-PoE+ - 48x1G PoE+ Stackable Managed Switch with 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ (550W PSU)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Variant 1

Smart Managed Pro Gigabit/10G SFP+ Switches with optional Remote/Cloud Management 

Standalone local or cloud management, 2xSFP+ 10Gb, 2xSFP 1G), 28 and 52 port variants, PoE+ variants with 24 (max 390W) resp. 48 (max 505W). About 750 USD each at 52 PoE ports variant.

Variant 2

S3300 - Gigabit Stackable Smart Managed Pro Switches with 10G Copper/Fiber Uplinks 

Stackable (max 4x10Gb), 28 and 52 port variants, PoE+ variants with 12 (max 195W) resp. 24 (max 390W). 450...1200 USD each.

Variant 3

M4300 Intelligent Edge Series 

M4300-28G/-54G, M4300-28G-PoE+ (550W or 1000W power supplies), M4300-54G-PoE+ (550W or 1000W power supplies) - all with 2xSFP+ 10Gb, 2x RJ45 10 Gb. USD 990 ... 1990 ... 2250 USD each. Two of the biggest ones for the list price (~USD 3900 of one Adtran 1560) - plus the best in class and unique IGMP Multicast implementation for audio and AV over IP.

Variant 4

My advise is to go for a platform supporting more than just 1G towards the clients computers and 10G stacking if really re-doing the network. Everything up to 5Gb would work on an existing CAT5a cabling. Current Wi-Fi 6 access points use 2.5G, more and more business noteboks come with 2.5G, business workstations come with MultiGig up to 5 or 10 Gb. A possible approach would be heading for the modular M4300-96X, with the required amount of 10GBASE-T (Fast Ethernet, 1G, 2.5G, 5G, and 10G speeds) 8 x 10GBASE-T port card and 8 x 10GBASE-T PoE+ port card, plus e.g one of the 8 x SFP+ port card, and/or a  40G QSFP+ Ports with two QSFP+ (4x10G and 40G speeds) for connecting servers or edge switches, ... everything paired with a pair of redundant power supplies based on the PoE+ needs. That makes a switch set-up good for at least the next decade - not just a year or two on plain GbE. Welcome 2021!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Hello @frevi 

To start with your switch offering, keep posting your questions and customer requirements here in the community.

Several knowledgeable people here who can provide some guidelines and initial directions on the extremely wide spectrum from the Smart Managed Plus over the Smart Managed Pro (with various feature sets) up to the top of the line Managed Switch series.

Depending if the direction things are going, we can assist in finding Netgear contacts if it goes towards a mid or large scale IT network or an AV network project.

@frevi wrote:

... the models shown on the web site don't exactly match the ones shown by my distributors and IT reseller sites. ...

And yes, designators like "GSM4352PA M4300-52G-PoE+ 48x1G PoE+ Stackable Managed Switch with 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ (550W PSU)" does not make things easier for us Netgear customers and community members out here, indeed. 

The exact model designators are always listed on the data sheets according your region and market. For example here -> M4300 Series ProSAFE® Intelligent Edge Managed Switches Data Sheet - last page "Ordering Information". If you need a M4300-52G-PoE+ wiht a 550W power supply in the north Americas or Europe order a "GSM4352PA-100NES". the one with a 720W for the same two markets is for example "GSM4352PB-100NES".

Message 2 of 7
frevi
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, but I was hoping to avoid a lot of back and forth on the message boards and kind of cut to the chase. 15 minutes with someone who's really up to speed would do it, but apparently that's not possible with Netgear. But I'll give it another try here, see if I can start getting some actual information instead of information about having discussion on the board here. Now I'll spend some more time writing out my story so everyone has enough background information; maybe someone will give it a little thought and reply with something helpful.

I need to get two switches for my client who is upgrading their IT situation. One switch will be 48 @1GBports (plus any uplink/SFP+ etc.); the other will be at least 24 @ 1GB ports (plus any uplink/SFP+ etc.), possibly a second 48-port depending on cost and other factors. At least one of these switches, possibly both, need to have POE+. These switches  will function in the same rack on the same networks with the same internet connection, so it's important for them to be stackable or have high-speed (10G) uplink ports.

I require some basic VLAN functionality to separate the video surveillance system and maybe the VoIP system from the regular LAN that has all the users' computers on it. There are a total of around 20 users; VoIP phones; WiFi access point(s); typical networked office equipment; an alarm system; and possibly other devices on the network. I need to access these switches remotely for diagnostic and configuration tasks. So I need some good management features.

My question is what is the most appropriate two or three lines of Netgear switches to consider. It might be useful to have more or more sophisticated management features and performance, but I want to be able to understand what the advantages would be of the more advanced switches so I can evaluate them against the increased costs and justify any decision to the client as well as myself.

I understand that there are different model and part numbers, but thanks for reminding me. My other question still stands as well: I would like to know which models are currently available from distributors and other sellers of this equipment, because it was frustrating to settle on a particular unit only to find zero hits when I tried to buy, and different monikers for similar-looking devices. What are the *current* *available* models and part numbers.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Message 3 of 7
frevi
Aspirant

...one more thing: I'm zeroing in on Adtran 1560-series switches; what are Netgear's answers to that product?

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Variant 1

Smart Managed Pro Gigabit/10G SFP+ Switches with optional Remote/Cloud Management 

Standalone local or cloud management, 2xSFP+ 10Gb, 2xSFP 1G), 28 and 52 port variants, PoE+ variants with 24 (max 390W) resp. 48 (max 505W). About 750 USD each at 52 PoE ports variant.

Variant 2

S3300 - Gigabit Stackable Smart Managed Pro Switches with 10G Copper/Fiber Uplinks 

Stackable (max 4x10Gb), 28 and 52 port variants, PoE+ variants with 12 (max 195W) resp. 24 (max 390W). 450...1200 USD each.

Variant 3

M4300 Intelligent Edge Series 

M4300-28G/-54G, M4300-28G-PoE+ (550W or 1000W power supplies), M4300-54G-PoE+ (550W or 1000W power supplies) - all with 2xSFP+ 10Gb, 2x RJ45 10 Gb. USD 990 ... 1990 ... 2250 USD each. Two of the biggest ones for the list price (~USD 3900 of one Adtran 1560) - plus the best in class and unique IGMP Multicast implementation for audio and AV over IP.

Variant 4

My advise is to go for a platform supporting more than just 1G towards the clients computers and 10G stacking if really re-doing the network. Everything up to 5Gb would work on an existing CAT5a cabling. Current Wi-Fi 6 access points use 2.5G, more and more business noteboks come with 2.5G, business workstations come with MultiGig up to 5 or 10 Gb. A possible approach would be heading for the modular M4300-96X, with the required amount of 10GBASE-T (Fast Ethernet, 1G, 2.5G, 5G, and 10G speeds) 8 x 10GBASE-T port card and 8 x 10GBASE-T PoE+ port card, plus e.g one of the 8 x SFP+ port card, and/or a  40G QSFP+ Ports with two QSFP+ (4x10G and 40G speeds) for connecting servers or edge switches, ... everything paired with a pair of redundant power supplies based on the PoE+ needs. That makes a switch set-up good for at least the next decade - not just a year or two on plain GbE. Welcome 2021!

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

For the M4300-96X Netgear has a nice configurator -> https://www.netgear.com/landings/M4300-96X-configurator/

M4300-96x 40x10G 40x10GPoE 8xSFPplus 2xQSFPplus .PNG

Message 6 of 7
frevi
Aspirant

Thanks, that is outstanding. Much appreciated. Very helpful.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements